Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cornish Hens

I came across a couple of game hens in the freezer earlier this week and thought I'd give them a shot on the egg. Also, since I hadn't spatchcoccked yet, I thought I'd give that a try too. (I hope my pictures come through. I've had troble with them in the past. I have them inserted throughout the text, but don't know if they'll end up that way.)

I started by dusting them with Oakridge BBQ's Game Bird & Chicken rub a couple hours in advance while they sat uncovered in the fridge. 

I cooked them indirect with a plate setter and dry drip pan at about 350 for 40 minutes or so - however long it took me to enjoy two Elmer T Lee Kentucky bourbons. I also added a small amount of cherry chips.

Here they are about 15 minutes before pulling. I'm not sure why the photo is blurry; I think it's because it was pitch black outside by that time.

Once they hit temp, I removed them and let them rest for 10 or 15 minutes while I egged some asparagus.

imageimage

Here they are on a plate with the asparagus and maple sweet potatoes. I wasn't sure how they'd be since they were frozen for I don't know how long. But they turned out great; really tender and juicy.  The skin was nice and crispy too. My wife, who's not nuts about hens, loved them and said they were the best she ever had. I felt compelled to celebrate with another Elmer T.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle

Comments