Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru pit probe question

Options
Hi all,

Just got a new BBQ Guru and using it for a rack of pork cook.  Will it take a while for the pit temp to match the Egg thermometer temp?  Thermometer is showing 360 and Guru probe just 130 degrees.  It has been up and running for about 30 minutes now.  Can it take a while for them to equalize?  Meat probe seems to be rising as expected.  Thanks.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Your dome thermo will initially be higher than the Guru pit probe.  In time they will get closer although they may not ever be equal.

Make sure your pit probe is protected for the direct fire (above the platesetter or stone).

You will love the Guru.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'm going to bump this for you.
    After 30 minutes for dome temp to be showing 360 and pit temp thermometer to be 130* doesn't seem right to me, based on my experience using a maverick.  That's more than a 200* delta.  I'd check the  pit thermometer and make sure it is not touching the meat by mistake or the top of the platesetter.  Have both been checked for accuracy?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    i agree with Ragtop99. it shouldnt take that LONG
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    Checking for accuracy will be the plan this afternoon.  Pit temp probe seemed to hover between 100-130 degrees.  At times it was registering 70 degrees with the Egg dome thermometer showing 370 degrees.  The food probe temp was 15 degrees higher than what I got with the Thermopen as well.