Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick vs. thermapen

Options
Got a thermapen for Christmas. Did the turkey on the egg and it turned out great. When the turkey was getting close according to the Maverick checked it with the thermapen and there was 30 degrees difference. Maverick low. Is that much difference normal? 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Boil some water and check. 99% sure the Thermapen is going to be correct. At the same time check your BGE one. Would do this at least once per year.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    From my experience, The thermapen records the temperature at the point end.  You can move the point to other parts of the meat and you might see vast differences in temperature.  So, it could be that your Maverick and Thermapen are correct, but in different places.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• waltinva
    Options
    It is not a big deal cause I'm going to go by the Thermapen. Just wondered if everyone gets that much range between thermometers. I did calibrate the dome thermometer a while back. The Maverick is an older single probe ET-72. I don't see any way to calibrate it. 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    you cant calibrate it but should test both in a boiling pot of water to ensure it is working correctly.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Depends what you are cooking. Turkey, can have a 30 F difference in the breast depending on where you take the temp, Thermapen or Mav. Checking a rib roast the other day, my Mav said it was at 115, the Thermapen reading was 120. I took temp again, as close to the Mav probe as I could get and the Thermapen read 112. Like Mickey said, check in boiling water to verify and make sure you check temp as close to the same spot as you can. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!