Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Reverse Seer

AltonAlton Posts: 431
Do I have to remove the plate setter to reverse seer? Or can I just jack up the heat?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• Remove the place setter gets the best result IMHO.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,141
    cspearce2 said:

Remove the place setter gets the best result IMHO.

+1
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njlnjl Posts: 749
    Gotta remove it. The tricky part is how. Especially if you've already been cooking at high heat.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,428

Oven mitts, with a clear plan on where its going to be placed ASAP.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• Another really good hint I picked up on this site if you have a cast iron grate is to place it as normal on the fire ring and then place the plate setter on top of it legs up.  Then place the regular cooking grate on the plate setter.  Do your indirect cook to temperature, remove the regular grate and plate setter to a safe place and open the vents for the sear.  The C I grate wil come to searing temperature much quicker having been exposed to the coals direct heat during the initial cook.  I have done this several times and it works great, just wish I could remember who posted it to give credit where due.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    Great Idea @bettysnephew!!!! I got to try that next time!!, Thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,141

Another really good hint I picked up on this site if you have a cast iron grate is to place it as normal on the fire ring and then place the plate setter on top of it legs up.  Then place the regular cooking grate on the plate setter.  Do your indirect cook to temperature, remove the regular grate and plate setter to a safe place and open the vents for the sear.  The C I grate wil come to searing temperature much quicker having been exposed to the coals direct heat during the initial cook.  I have done this several times and it works great, just wish I could remember who posted it to give credit where due.

Thanks for sharing that...great idea. I'm sold on the rs...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Another really good hint I picked up on this site if you have a cast iron grate is to place it as normal on the fire ring and then place the plate setter on top of it legs up.  Then place the regular cooking grate on the plate setter.  Do your indirect cook to temperature, remove the regular grate and plate setter to a safe place and open the vents for the sear.  The C I grate wil come to searing temperature much quicker having been exposed to the coals direct heat during the initial cook.  I have done this several times and it works great, just wish I could remember who posted it to give credit where due.
    I have posted a number of times with this method. Lately I've started to use the CI grid with a grill dome extender rack and an old pizza stone cut in 1/2. Because only two of us, I do my slow cook over the stone (indirect) above the felt line. When up to temp, I pull the grill dome, and drop the steaks onto the CI grid. Much easier than moving a setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.