Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Temp. Problem

New to the Egg. I read of temps. To 5-600 degrees but.....Cooking a turkey for my egg experience, with vents full open 4 hours, temp finally reached 300 degrees. What am I doing wrong????

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,184
    Couple of questions - How much lump did you use?  Was the ash cleaned out prior to the cook? How did you light it? Is your thermometer calibrated?  If loaded and lit right, vents full open should be at 1200 degrees plus in less than an hour.  
    In 4 hours you should see 300 BUT the thermo should have made a full circle and running on lava temperatures. The only reason for low temp is not enough fuel-lump in your egg.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,184
    makis said:
    In 4 hours you should see 300 BUT the thermo should have made a full circle and running on lava temperatures. The only reason for low temp is not enough fuel-lump in your egg.
    Or not enough air flow.