Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp. Problem

Options
New to the Egg. I read of temps. To 5-600 degrees but.....Cooking a turkey for my egg experience, with vents full open 4 hours, temp finally reached 300 degrees. What am I doing wrong????

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Couple of questions - How much lump did you use?  Was the ash cleaned out prior to the cook? How did you light it? Is your thermometer calibrated?  If loaded and lit right, vents full open should be at 1200 degrees plus in less than an hour.  
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    In 4 hours you should see 300 BUT the thermo should have made a full circle and running on lava temperatures. The only reason for low temp is not enough fuel-lump in your egg.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    makis said:
    In 4 hours you should see 300 BUT the thermo should have made a full circle and running on lava temperatures. The only reason for low temp is not enough fuel-lump in your egg.
    Or not enough air flow.