Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Wood - Chunk Size/ Placement

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brought 1st B.G.E. home Friday, 1st trip to forum last nite (re:dome temp vs. grill height). Thanx for speedee response guys. Next question: Am aware most folks seem to prefer chunx for smoking, & I have a pile of apple & red oak available to cut & split for smoke wood. Any opinions as to best size for chunx? Also - would appreciate any advice as to placement of said chunx in fire for optimum smoking performance. Thanx - back later...

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    E.B. ,[p] Welcome to the forum & ask as much as you like. When I pick
    up wood chunks, i look for sizes that are aprox 3"x 2 1/2"
    Not sure about the rest of the gang but I find that these
    work the best for me.

Earl

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    E.B. , congratulations on the wood supply and welcome to the forum...
    Chunks is my preference..the bigger the better. Since your doing your smoke low and slow..I will tell you how I do it. Others can and will offer alternatives.
    I build what I call a "core" fire. This is directly in the center of the grate. I do this by putting a fire starter on the grate, and when its burning nicely, I place chunks of charcoal on top of the burning starter in a small mound.
    When this mound has turned cherry red, then I add all the charcoal I want too over the top of it and add my lump smoking wood, one large chunk right on top of the "core" heat, and several around the perimeter. You can soak or use dry lump..soaked will give you more smoke.
    Your smoke is most affective only about 30 to 40 minutes of the cook..
    Sounds like you have a good start and ready to cook...let us know how we can help..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Earl, right on!!