Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Christmas Ham

Options
HAM!  Used Mickey's no rub, all smoke recipe.  Got an 8 lb. pre-cooked ham, smoked it at 300 degrees for four hours until internal temperature 155.  Wrapped in foil and towels, placed in a cooler for three hours.  Pulled it apart to use in a white bean chili (Christmas Tradition).  More than enough as an second act for the big bird tomorrow.  Used hickory wood to smoke.  Best ham I ever ate.  I couldn't stop the little hands from the kiddos as I pulled it apart. 

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man that look's good !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    excellent - Mickey says it works, it works.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wow that looks good. Sure easy, just don't tell the eaters how easy.
    Miles I did one yesterday before heading to Dallas for Christmas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    excellent - Mickey says it works, it works.....
    +1

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So when is the second egg due?
    Told you it was fun.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited December 2012
    Options
    milesb - how much hickory did you use.  Raised grate? Direct or Indirect?  What is the reason for the 3 hour tin foil and towel wrap?  I am still trying to get the smoking thing down.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • milesbrown4
    Options
    timekpr1: I put a good size hickory chunk (fist size) in there.  just one.  but you can put as much as you want to get the smoke going.  I soak the chunks all night then pull them out of the water about 5 min before I put them in the coals.  It was indirect, on the platesetter (legs down) & a drip pan.  I used the 3 hour tin foil and towel wrap to keep it ready until dinnertime (original schedule changed).  hope this helps.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The good news is that you are now free of soaking chips and chunks forever more! It really does not help but especially so on your egg. There is very little oxygen in your egg so wood will not burn at any smoking temp. I soaked for years before being set straight on the matter a few years back
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • milesbrown4
    Options
    Cen Tex Thanks!