Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adaptable Chicken

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying out new recipes and, frankly, I need to go back to some old standards I have. Some of the new ones have been winners, but the last few not as spectacular and I'm getting discouraged.[p]A particular old favorite is this chicken where you mix spinach, ricotta, an egg, and a few other things and stuff it under the skin, then bake about 45 mins. It is very easy and always has rave reviews. I was wondering if recipes like this adapt well to the Egg? It's one of my favorite chickens. Thoughts?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    mollyShark, that sounds delicious..the time frame is what bothers me. I would still use the 20 minute per lb as a rule of thumb in poultry cooks. At 350 degrees a 8 lb bird dressed to kill like your suggesting should take around 2 hours or so. maybe slightly less direct, more if indirect.
    I would go indirect at 350F or higher. I have cooked some great chicken at 500F..not whole but quarters, legs, drums, and breasts.
    Cheers...and let us know how it works for ya..go for it!
    C~W[p]

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Can't imagine I'll find an 8 lb chicken around, so time might not be quite as much of an issue. Think I'll stick him on a v-rack over a pan and a pizza stone at 350 and see what doth occur. If it works...I'll post the recipe. Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    mollyShark, syre thing ..time is only relative to the heat applied so watch your themometer..Let that be your insurance....When's lunch and should I bring the wine??
    Kidding..
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    mollyShark,[p]I do butterflied chicken (& T'giving turkey) stuffed under the skin on the Egg, & it's great. For larger birds I use a water-filled drip pan; otherwise I cook direct at 300-325 dome. [p]My favorite stuffing is based on mushrooms & cheese - see the link below.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Turkey with mushroom stuffing[/ul]