Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens

I came across a couple of game hens in the freezer earlier this week and thought I'd give them a shot on the egg. Also, since I hadn't spatchcoccked yet, I thought I'd give that a try too. (I hope my pictures come through. I've had troble with them in the past. I have them inserted throughout the text, but don't know if they'll end up that way.)

I started by dusting them with Oakridge BBQ's Game Bird & Chicken rub a couple hours in advance while they sat uncovered in the fridge. 

I cooked them indirect with a plate setter and dry drip pan at about 350 for 40 minutes or so - however long it took me to enjoy two Elmer T Lee Kentucky bourbons. I also added a small amount of cherry chips.

Here they are about 15 minutes before pulling. I'm not sure why the photo is blurry; I think it's because it was pitch black outside by that time.

Once they hit temp, I removed them and let them rest for 10 or 15 minutes while I egged some asparagus.

imageimage

Here they are on a plate with the asparagus and maple sweet potatoes. I wasn't sure how they'd be since they were frozen for I don't know how long. But they turned out great; really tender and juicy.  The skin was nice and crispy too. My wife, who's not nuts about hens, loved them and said they were the best she ever had. I felt compelled to celebrate with another Elmer T.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments

• Congratulations on your success , they look really good !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    They look great.  I'm about an hour away from throwing a couple on tonight as well.  I usually cut them all the way through rather than Spatchcock.  I like to flip them while cooking and the halves are easier to handle.  Same result.
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    nice looking cook!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Yours looks good.
    This off the Mini
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks great...I've been wanting to try some.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just finished cooking some.  When I bought them, I thought Perdue had changed the packaging, because they did not look like what I had bought in the past.  Turned out I bought 'pre seasoned, in a bag, ready to cook' Cornish Hens.  I was a bit worried, as i prefer to season them myself, however these turned out delicious.  Didn't add any other flavoring, just rinsed, dried, split them in half and threw on the Egg.  Direct at 400, Turned them a couple of times.  Sorry, no pics - grabbed the camera and the battery was dead. 
    bodski Posts: 463
    Mickey, the bacon looks like a great addition. Tj, if I do them again I might cut in half. Thanks for the comments and tips.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    bodski said:
    I cooked them indirect with a plate setter and dry drip pan at about 350 for 40 minutes or so - however long it took me to enjoy two Elmer T Lee Kentucky bourbons. I also added a small amount of cherry chips.

I put the picture with the correct text.  Made me feel I was right there with you pounding a couple back.
    :D
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

Thanks Ragtop! Too much 'making merry'I guess.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Nice cooks, game hens are on my list. Have to try some of that bourbon