Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy Mirin Rice Wine?

Options
Any suggestions?  I want to give Cazzy's wing recipe a try.  Thanks and have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Obviously in an Asian grocery store, but lately, I've seen it on the Asian food aisle at my neighborhood grocery.  Where are you located?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Fort Collins, CO.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I would bet that Supermarket Liquors would have it.

1300 East Mulberry St.
    Fort Collins, CO 80524

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Taste some once you find it, to create a reference. Mirin is a cooking wine and there are lots of variations, some salted some not, some sweeter than others, some coloured. Half the fun is finding the one or ones you like. If you pick up aji mirin, salted, you may want to adjust any other salt used for taste.
    Rice wine, sake or others can be sweetened as can a dry sherry or even some left over dry chardonnay if you want. 
    My Taiwanese friend steams (distills) her own rice wine, the stuff is 40% and I just sweeten it. Maybe that's why I like Cazzy's marinade so much..... Try it on single cut asian style ribs. 

As an after thought - don't throw out the used marinate, boil it in a saucepan, reduce it and it will reduce to a fantastic dipping sauce/glaze. It takes about 10 minutes so it is sterile, no worries about the fact raw chicken has been sitting in it. If that bothers you - just make more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!