Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Where to buy Mirin Rice Wine?

Any suggestions?  I want to give Cazzy's wing recipe a try.  Thanks and have a Merry Christmas everyone!

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

Comments

• Obviously in an Asian grocery store, but lately, I've seen it on the Asian food aisle at my neighborhood grocery.  Where are you located?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• QDudeQDude Posts: 472
    Fort Collins, CO.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• I would bet that Supermarket Liquors would have it.

1300 East Mulberry St.
    Fort Collins, CO 80524

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,349
    edited December 2012
    Taste some once you find it, to create a reference. Mirin is a cooking wine and there are lots of variations, some salted some not, some sweeter than others, some coloured. Half the fun is finding the one or ones you like. If you pick up aji mirin, salted, you may want to adjust any other salt used for taste.
    Rice wine, sake or others can be sweetened as can a dry sherry or even some left over dry chardonnay if you want. 
    My Taiwanese friend steams (distills) her own rice wine, the stuff is 40% and I just sweeten it. Maybe that's why I like Cazzy's marinade so much..... Try it on single cut asian style ribs. 

As an after thought - don't throw out the used marinate, boil it in a saucepan, reduce it and it will reduce to a fantastic dipping sauce/glaze. It takes about 10 minutes so it is sterile, no worries about the fact raw chicken has been sitting in it. If that bothers you - just make more. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.