Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Is this normal?!

rholtrholt Posts: 360
So I just finished doing two spatched chickens and they turned out mediocre at best. I guess just seasoning on the surfaces of the birds was my first mistake. The skin was crispy at first when taken off the egg but softened quite a bit while resting. I had forked the skin to let the fat drip out. The main thing I found a little off putting was that the texture of the chicken was a little "mushy" I guess you could say. I had a thermo that registered 180 and 160 in thigh and breast respectively so I know they were cooked to temp. I guess the whole experience was kind of a bummer when it was all said and done. Any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Oh, cooked indirect at 370-390 for a little over an hour. On an XL if it matters.

Comments