Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this normal?!

rholtrholt Posts: 368
So I just finished doing two spatched chickens and they turned out mediocre at best. I guess just seasoning on the surfaces of the birds was my first mistake. The skin was crispy at first when taken off the egg but softened quite a bit while resting. I had forked the skin to let the fat drip out. The main thing I found a little off putting was that the texture of the chicken was a little "mushy" I guess you could say. I had a thermo that registered 180 and 160 in thigh and breast respectively so I know they were cooked to temp. I guess the whole experience was kind of a bummer when it was all said and done. Any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Oh, cooked indirect at 370-390 for a little over an hour. On an XL if it matters.
·

Comments

• Cooking raised direct should give you the crispy skin you seek.  I'm not sure what you mean by mushy texture.  Whenever I cook chicken raised direct, I like the results.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    First one? Assuming so my wife said the same thing the first time I did one the juiciness of snatch plus the fact we are used to overcooked chicken tends to lead to this reaction. Take it another 5 degrees and it will probably be more like "standard" chicken
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Ha ha ha. Juiciness of snatch....fairly accurate description. Yes I guess I am more used to the grilled variety of chicken with a somewhat more firm texture. The chicken I produced was juicy but not in a delicious way. More like a questionably bland way.
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    haha typed that on my phone.  guess one of those famous autocorrect errors.  
    ·
  • U_tarded said:
    haha typed that on my phone.  guess one of those famous autocorrect errors.  

that is funny right there

·
  • U_tarded said:
    First one? Assuming so my wife said the same thing the first time I did one the juiciness of snatch plus the fact we are used to overcooked chicken tends to lead to this reaction. Take it another 5 degrees and it will probably be more like "standard" chicken

Auto correct is pretty neat....funniest thing I've read in a long time.
    U_tarded said:

U_tarded said:

·
  • Indirect chicken, spatched - cook at 425 dome, a little corn starch with your rub, skin will be crispy. Drip pan only, no liquid in it. 

Direct raised at the temps you used. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Good advice. Thanks skiddy.
    ·