Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! My BGE has an under-bite!

My relatively new LBGE has an 'under-bite'. The top does not line up properly with the bottom (See photo below). The egg was assembled by my local ACE Hardware but I didn't notice it until recently. What is the fix?

Thank you!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check YouTube for BGE gasket change...shows how to fix.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    This video shows all you need to know about adjusting the Egg.

This video shows all you need to know about adjusting the Egg.

Perfect! Thank you very much.
  • It sounds as if you have a new Egg. Those gasket pics show a pristine looking gasket. Have you talked to the factory? This may be covered under your warranty. I'd also contact my Ace store and tell them you aren't happy. Don't do anything untilmyou have exhausted all your remedies with BGE corporate customer service as well as your local Ace store. Replacing a gasket isn't hard, but who foots the bill for supplies? Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...
  • It sounds as if you have a new Egg. Those gasket pics show a pristine looking gasket. Have you talked to the factory? This may be covered under your warranty. I'd also contact my Ace store and tell them you aren't happy. Don't do anything untilmyou have exhausted all your remedies with BGE corporate customer service as well as your local Ace store. Replacing a gasket isn't hard, but who foots the bill for supplies? Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...
    Good advice. Did you lift it into the table? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

It sounds as if you have a new Egg. Those gasket pics show a pristine looking gasket. Have you talked to the factory? This may be covered under your warranty. I'd also contact my Ace store and tell them you aren't happy. Don't do anything untilmyou have exhausted all your remedies with BGE corporate customer service as well as your local Ace store. Replacing a gasket isn't hard, but who foots the bill for supplies? Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...

He does not need to replace his gasket. it's a 2 minute adjustment. Just watch the video, loosen 2 bolts and adjust. It's very common and you'll waste way more time calling the dealer and BGE to tell then you are unhappy when you could just fix it. I'll gladly walk you through it if you need help.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks guys, it is a pretty new BGE (about 2 months). I will try the adjustment and it if it doesn't work I'll get on the horn with BGE. If anything, both the ACE that I purchased it from and BGE HQ are about 30 minutes away.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • I fixed mine today. 3 minutes in my pj's and no shoes :). Super simple. Think of it as a band adjustment, not a dome adjustment. Loosen your bands, clamp a wrench or vice grips on the flat part of your hinge assembly and lift to move your dome forward.. Once it's where you want it, tighten the band. The nut is 1/2" and you'll either need a wrench or a pass through socket like I have in the pics. Underbite: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Loosen the band (or bands if you need to adjust both): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Use a wrench or vice by lifting up to push the dome forward Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Hold bands in place (might need a partner for this) and tighten them up. And you are all set: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Hope this helps. It is really easy

• See above. I bet you anything your bands need to be adjusted.
  • Cen-Tex ... My point is that this should not be happening to a new Egg. Given what a LBGE costs, I expect no problems out of the box! Further, should anything else related to this go wrong, you want to have a trail in customer service on your device. Only trying to avoiding problems down the road! Be well and have a Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...
  • Cen-Tex ... My point is that this should not be happening to a new Egg. Given what a LBGE costs, I expect no problems out of the box! Further, should anything else related to this go wrong, you want to have a trail in customer service on your device. Only trying to avoiding problems down the road! Be well and have a Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...

I hear you but it happens all the time. New bands need to be adjusted even more because they expand and contract when they get hot and cold. Once they settle in they last much longer between adjustments. I've had to do mine like 3 times in 7-8 years. It's not a defect and nobody did anything wrong at the dealer (other than perhaps not to mention they may need adjusting after a few cooks). even expensive things need to be adjusted from time to time.
  • Sorry if that sounded short. Doing 5 things at once. Installing windows on a Mac makes my head hurt. Hope you are having a great day. All good points and you do want to stay on top of any serious issues. This one is fairly common because of the high temps that can be achieved with the egg.
  • Cen-Tex, didnt think anything of it. We're all here to learn and have some fun! Merry Christmas to you and yours.
  • Cen-Tex, didnt think anything of it. We're all here to learn and have some fun! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks. It looked cranky to me when I read it and that is not what I meant it to be. Centex needs to go to bed now. He has been a wee bit overserved :) merry Christmas to you too.

Thanks bro - appreciate the reply. Tried that three times so far. even replaced the bolts with stainless after bending them nearly past 45 degrees.

I will try it again - but I am getting annoyed. well, not annoyed today...It is Christmas. :)

I will saved the headaches for another day.,

Thanks bro - appreciate the reply. Tried that three times so far. even replaced the bolts with stainless after bending them nearly past 45 degrees.

I will try it again - but I am getting annoyed. well, not annoyed today...It is Christmas. :)

I will saved the headaches for another day.,

Sounds like you got another issue then. Maybe a bad hinge or something. Might be time for a call. It's not that hard so if you've done it 3X, I would get your dealer or the Mothership involved.