Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Pork Butt ?

I bought two 7.5 lb Boston butts. I wasn't thinking and just looked in the meat section and picked up two butts. I'm preparing them now so I can start cooking them early in the morning. I just realized that I bought BONELESS. 
Honestly I've cooked at least a dozen butts in the past and they all were bone-in. They all came out wonderful.
Now I'm worried that these boneless ones won't be as good. Also, is the cook time the same with boneless as with bone-in? I'm planning on a 10 to 11 hour cook ( 1.5 hrs a lb)

They are in teh fridge now, coated with a lil yellow mustard and sprinkled with lots of Legon's Cajun seasoning.

What ya think?

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I made the same mistake the other week. Cook them the same and they will come out fine. No worries
    Greensboro, NC
  • I have done many boneless over the years as that is how Costco sells them. They come out fine. Only thing I did differently was to tie them up into a uniform size. This helps keep some parts from getting done too quick. You should be okay.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Oh, I figured that is why one of them has netting around it. One is nice and solid and the other is held together with netting. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Bone or no bone, what you are looking for is your target internal temperature. Cook 'em just as you've always done and you'll be just fine. Realize that bone helps the cooking process by moving heat to the meat, so it may be that ceterus paribus, you'll be cooking a little longer with your butts having been boned. Merry Christmas! Just my 2 cents worth ...