Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Final Prime Rib ?

I was planning on using my place setter to cook the prime rib, but it just occurred to me that I'm getting the adjustable rig combo Christmas morning. a bit hesitant to use a new piece of equipment for a new cook, but also itching to use it. Do you think I should break it in? And if so, how do I set it up?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    edited December 2012
    I have the AR, set up is straightforward. Stone and drip pan on bottom place roast as high up on the rig as you would like. For a roast I find the PS works just as well and simpler to use. You will enjoy the AR quite a bit I would guess.
    George
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,914
    edited December 2012
    Get er done Griff! As mentioned, easy to set up and I love the oval stone much more than the plate setter.
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • I'm told the oval stone is nice for long roasts, like a rib roast. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 407
    What are you planning on using for a rub for that primal cut?

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,404
    Definitely use the AR. Easy as cake to use. I absolutely love my oval stone.
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    The oval stone is nice, it gives you more real estate for indirect coverage. I had a friend custom make me a drip pan the same shape as the stone.
    George
    ·
  • Sounds like the perfect time to break it in.  I got one last Christmas with the oval stone and use it a lot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    edited December 2012
    Did you get a spider? If so the small stone or just as well the oval on the lower part of the adj. if you are like me your platesetter will go to the back of the storage area now. PS: this was just before I learned to foil my stone. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Nothing like wearing a new pair of shoes out of the store.  Come on man, Unwrap it---set it in---and enjoy your best gift on Christmas Day!!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Agree with Mickey, make sure you foil the stone and the drip pan as well that it comes with.
    Your going to love the AR Combo. When I get home I will mak sure I come over to drink and eat.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920

@Mickey - got the oval stone. Already had the spider for wok cooks.

@TUTTLE871 - you know you are welcome anytime. Well...most times. Just call first. ;)

Ok....looks like we'll break in the AR. :D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Griffin said:

Ok....looks like we'll break in the AR. :D

Atta Boy - enjoy, Merry Christmas to you and all those near and dear at Griffins Grub!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·