Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

worse egging

Last Monday I had to work nights which I rarely do. I was up 36 hours straight. Came home and still had a table to refinish but really wanted smoked chicken salad. Put quarters on instead of a spatchcock in 24 degree weather. I reckon I should get some sort of BGE badge. What's the worst conditions you've egged in?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

drunk off my ass in the middle of a hurricane holding a sharp knife

If you'd have said anything less I would have quit the forum...lol

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Lived on the west coast for 25 years, so the weather is not too cold here. When we lived in eastern Ontario 30 years ago, I BBQ'd with my gasser at -25C, (about -12F for the US guys) I had to take the tank in the house to warm it up, and then wrapped it with an electric blanket to keep it warm enough to get the propane to flow. Longest hour I ever spent trying to spin a chicken on a spit. Wished I had the egg then.... spatchcock would have been so easy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    12 below...I'm not sure I'm that manly. The question its...was the chicken good?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Actually chickens were great, of course the family at the table made the meal. Received the rotisserie kit from my parents for Christmas, the plan was to spin a couple of birds for Super Bowl. One bird with a spicy rub (Dad and I) the other with BBQ sauce (Mom and wife), the brush froze in the bowl between bastes, wife had to thaw it in the microwave. All great fun. 
    Still remember the game, 49ers and Bengals, in the new Silver Dome in Pontiac. My Dad was 49er fan - had a smile on his face for at least a year. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Poring down rain!! I don't have a covered area to egg, and I was bound and determined I was egging that night! So I rigged a canvas collapsible chair on top of my egg table really close to my egg. I zip tied my wifes nice golf umbrella to the cup holder on the chair . Worked like a champ! Wife thought I was totally crazy! I realized then I must go and buy one of those big patio umbrella for conditions like that!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • henapple
    @Kosko..would love to see pics.
  • Kosko
    I wish I would've taken pics ! It was pretty ghetto! I will try to mock it back up and take a pic later. My wife thought I had seriously lost my mind! I told her NoTHiNG is stopping me from egging.....NOTHING!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Drunk off my ass, 20 degrees and snowing. Hey....that might be nothing to them Canucks, but thats a big deal for us Texas boys.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Pre-Egg days.  Cooking  chicken on the Weber Kettle during a thunderstorm.  Golf umbrella in one hand and tongs in the other.  Wilma was convinced the lightning would turn my skin as crispy as the chicken's.
    Flint, Michigan
  • This comes to mind:

Also, the time that I had to light a fire in the ash bin to unfreeze the gasket in 3 ft of snow and about 20 below just to cook hotdogs. Alcohol was involved in both. And so was @lakewade. coincidence? I think not.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Not severe weather related but it was day 8 without electricity and trust me it was well beyond "old".  Fortunately by day 9 we had it back.  And this was not the third world-just seemed like it :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple

This comes to mind:

Also, the time that I had to light a fire in the ash bin to unfreeze the gasket in 3 ft of snow and about 20 below just to cook hotdogs. Alcohol was involved in both. And so was @lakewade. coincidence? I think not.
    What bothers me is you can cook @$&$faced better than I can sober as a fundamental baptist. Maybe I should up the beer intake.

• henapple said:
    This comes to mind:

What bothers me is you can cook @$&$faced better than I can sober as a fundamental baptist. Maybe I should up the beer intake.
    I grew up fundamental Baptist. Went to baptist school every day (1st Baptist Academy in Dallas), church twice every Sunday and every Wednesday too.

Something went horribly askew between then and now :))

I drink with a lot of Baptists. Normally just one at a time though.

• In the heavy rain before I moved onto the covered area of the pourch.

The worst time Egging, the day after I helped my oldest move out of the house, and out of state, and realizing I don't have to cook as much as I was used to.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    Cen Tex....we need to sit down and talk in Salado. Our history sounds familiar. You know the old joke...if you're going fishing with a baptist, take two. Take one, and he'll drink all your beer. Take two and they'll keep an eye on each other.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2012
    Dang-sounds like Salado will be quite the gathering...but I could do without the kilts.  For the rest of it-gonna be quite the time!  Unfortunately not in my game-plan right now :(
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Dang-sounds like Salado will be quite the gathering...but I could do without the kilts.  For the rest of it-gonna be quite the time!  Unfortunately not in my game-plan right now :(

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    At least I know when I see Doc... Please tell me I can wear my khakis.
  • henapple said:
    Cen Tex....we need to sit down and talk in Salado. Our history sounds familiar. You know the old joke...if you're going fishing with a baptist, take two. Take one, and he'll drink all your beer. Take two and they'll keep an eye on each other.

I'll be easy to spot. I'll be the one not behaving as a fundamental Baptist. Centex does not do kilts. Not judging those who do. Just a declarative statement. If you do see me in a kilt, I have had way too much to drink. I recommend you steer clear and do not make direct eye contact. It is for your (and your loved one's) own safety.
  • henapple said:
    At least I know when I see Doc... Please tell me I can wear my khakis.
    Only if they are plaid khakis :-O
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    What if I just bring Irish whiskey or scotch?
  • henapple said:
    What if I just bring Irish whiskey or scotch?

hmmmmm, let's see. Dude in plaid skirt, or dude in pants with whiskey. I prefer option #2.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    henapple said:
    I heard that joke quite a few times while at Baylor.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    henapple said:
    I heard that joke quite a few times while at Baylor.

One of my best drinking buddies is a Baylor Grad.
  • Kosko
    @ henapple here ya go bro. It's Christmas Eve raining like crazy , I am still egging!
  • henapple
    Kosko said:

@ henapple here ya go bro.
    It's Christmas Eve raining like crazy , I am still egging!</blockquote

Nice....dedicated.

• Just on Friday I was doing a pork shoulder and the temperature was just slightly above freezing and raining heavily. So all this ice cold rain was falling on the egg, running off and taking the heat with it. I had the vents open 4 times as far as I normally do for the same cook and in what should have been the last hour I ran out of lump after 17 hours.
  • So far today is my most challenging cook. It's about 55 F but it raining a fair bit (that's about the worst we get here in San Diego). I'm stone cold sober, but it is only 10AM, so I may have the opportunity to remedy that later. Egg is lit (hardest part was striking matches) and temp is stabilizing. Four racks of ribs nice and slow today, very optimistic. Not much of a story in terms of harsh weather, but there's a reason we pay so damn much to live here (haha).

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • henapple
    I'm stone cold sober, but it is only 10AM

That's the sign of a drinking problem...lol