Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st turkey attempt for Christmas

Options
 I told mom that I would be glad to cook the turkey for Christmas if she would allow it. She agreed to it , so this has to be good.

She wanted a turkey breast not a whole bird , so I picked up an 8# Honeysuckle White fresh bone in breast.

I was planning on brining , but  this bird seems to be pre brined (enhanced) so will me brining it do any good ?

Rub under the skin ? Shaking the tree , Raging River ?

Temp ? I'm thinking 325-350 indirect ?

Favorite wood ?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    don't brine it again.  I like coffee rub on turkey.  Look up Mickey's coffee rub.  DP red eye is a coffee rub.  Anything is good on Turkey breast.  Cook to 160 internal.  It gets dry if you overcook and it don't matter what kinda rub you applied if you're eating dry breast.
    What's the best wood ?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Go light with cherry smoke wood for some great color-poultry takes smoke very easily.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Andy_in_CO
    Options
    I would agree with both NOLA and Lous on this one. Don't brine it if it is enhanced, it will over salt the meat. Cherry leaves a great color on the bird. I also us a small amount of apple with mine. I love the smell of applewood smoke in the morning! Like Lou said, don't use too much wood.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like about a single handful combo of cherry/pecan chips. For the coffee rub. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.