Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Standing Rib Roast. MEGAPIXELS of pictures. (you're warned - no mobile devices without unlimited)

2»

Comments

• Quinn - that looks good, man, I don't see no funky stuff.

double - never did post a thread on that.  I will soon.  I took lots of pics when I built it.

definitely nuthin funky, just not purdy...that's by most standards. i think its beautiful!
  • Nice roast, charred with a weed burner, looks nice, kinda creme standing rib brulee. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,550
    Thanks skiddy.  I'm about to pull off the fish I threw on afterwards.

Mrs B made a nice horseradish sauce for the ribeye.

Smoking operation.  I'm going to try to stay up for a little longer so I can get a full 6 hours of smoke on these fish.  Checked the temp, 59F.  It's cool enough outside I don't need the refrigeration.

imageimageimageimage
    IMG_7778.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 3M
    IMG_7779.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 2M
    IMG_7781.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 2M
    IMG_7780.JPG
    3072 x 2048 - 2M

• henapplehenapple Posts: 11,750
    It cost me $8.50 on Verizon to see the pics...worth it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks skiddy.  I'm about to pull off the fish I threw on afterwards.

Ask for the recipe, please. Our go to has always been a prepared sauce made for restaurants here in the GWN. I like it, but it has little too much zip for most folks, have never found a good alternative. Maybe if you ask her nice she'd share....Thanks
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,194
    henapple said:
    It cost me $8.50 on Verizon to see the pics...worth it.
    Unlimited Data FTW!

Thanks skiddy.  I'm about to pull off the fish I threw on afterwards.

Ask for the recipe, please. Our go to has always been a prepared sauce made for restaurants here in the GWN. I like it, but it has little too much zip for most folks, have never found a good alternative. Maybe if you ask her nice she'd share....Thanks
    Will do.  I'm at the office right now.  When I make it I just use light sour cream, salt, pepper and horseradish to taste.  I think she added some  other stuff.  Some people use mayo instead or in addition to the sour cream.  You can't go wrong with creme fraiche and horseradish if you can afford the calories.

• jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 883
    edited December 2012
    That roast looks awesome. I found it interesting that it looks like a lot of the internal fat melts away. I'm sure that made the meat even more flavorful. Very nicely done. I hope mine turns out as well as yours looked.

I got a strange call from my Butcher today. They said the beef standing rib roasts were running huge this year and that the five rib roast I wanted, which usually goes about 2 pounds per rib was coming In at about 18.6 pounds. As mentioned their explanation was a bunch of the roasts had come in and they were all running huge. They still gave me the option to take a five rib roast or to give them a weight I would like to have. I said something between 10 and 11 pounds, but I am wondering if the beef is on steroids this year or what. This is a high end butcher shop so I trust them to get good meat, but still odd...

Jim
    BBQ Website: grillin' & smokin'

Middlesex County, MA
    Three Large BGE's & Too Many Eggcessories to Count
  • Maybe they received only the large end of the primal? 
  • Quite the rig you've got set up to cold smoke the salmon. I assume it's tough to get the temp down that low otherwise?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Durham, NC
  • Hey Nola on that rib roast a couple of simple questions. Raised grid or on the fire ring? Direct of indirect?

Thanks.
    LBGE
    @DocWonmug - plate setter legs up, in a v-rack over baking pan.  Probably could have used a little more heat in the bottom, I'd just do it raised grate - the baking pan supplies the "indirect" part of the equation.

@JohnInCarolina - you want to keep fish as cool as possible.  If it goes over 90F, the meat starts getting more like hot smoked salmon.  Since it's usually hot as hell here, I have an AC that lets me smoke below ambient temperature.  When I did this batch, it was around 59F out, so no need to run the AC.  The pipe takes most of the heat out, which is good when it's cold out, bad when it's hot out (need a load on the AC for it to run right).