Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer cut or point only?

Hi All - I want to attempt my first brisket at some point soon, so I started shopping around for a packer cut.

I've seen a few at some of my local butchers, but they all seem to be point only, no flat.

Other than not having the option of making burnt ends, are there any drawbacks to smoking a point only cut?

Thanks,
Josh

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Point only rocks.  I'd rather do two points than one packer.  Flats suck.
    You can make burnt ends with the point.

-- Josh
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Where did you find point only?

• paqman said:
    Whole foods
  • Hi All - I want to attempt my first brisket at some point soon, so I started shopping around for a packer cut.

I've seen a few at some of my local butchers, but they all seem to be point only, no flat.

Other than not having the option of making burnt ends, are there any drawbacks to smoking a point only cut?

Thanks,
    Josh

Where are you at Josh? I am assuming TO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Now I know where all the flat only cuts come from:) You are very fortunate if you can score points in a non-sporting event and w/o women involved!!!  Every time I ask "where do the points end up" as I live in a flat world (unlike Christopher Columbus) I never get a response, Thanks for the insights!  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    paqman said:
    Whole foods
    special order?
    are you sure it is brisket?
    when I first asked for a brisket to the butcher at the grocery store, he wanted to sell me sirloin tip... I had to go at a small local butcher shop and it was special order.  I've never seen brisket in a large surface grocery store (I'm in Ottawa).

Thanks,
    Josh

Where are you at Josh? I am assuming TO
    Yes I'm TO. I was at the Whole Foods at Square One.
  • Starsky's in Mississauga has whole briskets. A brisket is kinda two meals, the flat on the day of the cook and burnt ends the next day.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    Most grocery stores get the cryopacked primals.  If there isn't a market for the primal, they cut it up, repackage it and sell it.  You can ask if they have a packer in the back and they'll usually be happy to check and sell you one (less work on their part selling it like that).  At least that's how they do it in the USA.
  • nolaegghead

I bought a whole brisket today. Be my first.
    I have a big one in my fridge a buddy bought for me for feeding his dog last weekend.  I told him I'd split it with him after I cook it, which will tomorrow (Sat) night.  I've so tempted to give him the flat...hahaha...he's got company coming in for xmas.  I'll try to be equitable.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    WTF is wrong with your groceries?  Price is high, so there must be demand, what, does burger meat cost more? 
    edited December 2012
    WTF is wrong with your groceries?  Price is high, so there must be demand, what, does burger meat cost more? 
    Ground beef sells at 20$/pound here.   Do you get it for less?

nola, for your information/amusement, read this in case you haven't heard about it
    :)) the article says our cheese prices could be 3X what you pay :(
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/09/27/niagara-cheese-smuggling.html
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Yah know, I did read about that.  I just didn't realize it was the same with beef.  That's terrible!
    Yah know, I did read about that.  I just didn't realize it was the same with beef.  That's terrible!
    I was kidding about the beef.  I cost more but not that much.  Some cuts like brisket and tri tips are hard to find (if not impossible).  Brisket here is only available on special order and often the grade is not so good.  It is available in some store in Toronto and Montreal but I have never seen it in Ottawa.

Ya got me.  After hearing about FedEx charging $10 to pay some $3 fee, I wasn't sure what to believe about your floppy-headed economy ;)