Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas cooks -- need suggestions

A severe cold front with high winds are on the way, so it sounded like a great idea to do a 14.5 pound brisket tonight.  Pics (including of seasonal beverages, most importantly), to follow.

For Christmas we've decided to do a small turkey on the Egg.  I've never done one before.  Suggestions?  Only thing I'm kind of tied to is using sugar maple to smoke with, because that's what I've got.  Fire away, Eggheads.  

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Spatchcock the turkey - best turkey you will ever have.

Garnerville, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice.  I'm off work all next week so I might bust my brisket cherry then.  Good luck with yours.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2012
    +1 on @robnybboq...and to quote @nolaegghead...

rock out with your spatchcock out. You will love it. I think the maple smoke will go nice with the turkey. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited December 2012
    Spatchcocked Turkey ((( I will try the maple next time )))
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180
    Please let set for 20 to 30 mins to rest before cutting.
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks.  Keep 'em coming.  

Started the fire tonight with Cabin Fever ale.  One of the better seasonal brews I've had.  As much as I'm excited about this brisket, I'm really excited that it's cold enough that the smell should really travel and drive the neighbors nuts.  
  • Brisket is on at 220-230.  Seasoned it heavily with DP's Raising the Steaks.  Fire is a lower level of mesquite, which should kick in around lunch tomorrow, and sugar maple on the top level.  

• My last brisket was a cakewalk--temperature never moved and the meat came out perfect after 25 hours.  This brisket has been a real test.  The temperature was stable for the first 6 hours and then I checked it and it had gone up 100 degrees.  I think it has to be a product of the wind that's whipping all around the vent.  Meat had made it to 158 after 6 hours.  I shut it to nearly closed before going to bed, knowing it would either put the fire out or that it would stabilize itself really low.  Woke up and the temp had dropped to ~100, with the meat at 118.  Fire responded to a little more air, so we'll slowly get the temp back and see what happens.