Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yet another PR question

Picking up today and cooking Christmas eve. Any reason to fridge it uncovered?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• you could but 24 hrs is likely enough

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • @Cazzy - where are you?, Cazzy has one in the fridge, dry aging right now. Given that Christmas is only a few days away, I would assume you are not looking to dry age and are considering uncovered the day or two before the cook. 

If you plan to sear the roast, uncovered in the fridge for a day or so will give only a slightly better crust. If you plan to low and slow it, (the best way to cook a standing rib IMHO) I have never really noticed much of a difference. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mighty_Quinn has one dry aging - he posted a pic on my last thread. 
  • don't see why not....this one has been going for a few weeks. will be 28 days on Christmas. i suggest using a fridge that doesn't get opened too often if possible to avoid the temp/humidity swings. image
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Probably low and slow...won't bother then. Thanks.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    An observation here-leaving the roast uncovered in the fridge with a setup like Mighty Quinn will lead to loss of moisture aka dry aging.  The longer the dry exposure the more the loss (to a point) and I believe you end up with a roast that has a higher beef flavor intensity-for lack of a better description.  I am on a 7 day plan for the Xmas roast (cooking low&slow) as that is about as much as SWMBO can take.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

I'd leave it in the package and wet age in the fridge until x-mas.

Dry aging for such a short time offers no advantage.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I left one uncovered in the fridge for three days.  It was good but I didnt think it was better than the one I marinated for 24hrs and then cooked.  Both of these roasts were not Prime by any means.  actually they were select.  YMMV
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What marinade? I haven't heard of marinating PR.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My $.02...most folks don't use a marinade with a rib roast..just a dry rub.  You can catch the drippings and make an au jus for dipping.  I really like a nice horsey sauce too.  So far I have just bought the horseradish sauce...I like the boars head pub style.  

...this is what I plan to do next time (plus the horsey sauce). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.