Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Buying a ham

Sup guys. So my contribution to family Christmas this year will be a ham. Doesn't really matter how that turns out cause I'm also bringing the only granddaughter so she will be the spoiled rotten center of all's attention.

Back to the ham. I am going to do egrets ham and it says buy a cooked ham. And I think I want spiral cut so I can shove stuff in its cracks.

With buying a cooked ham, am I really just seasoning it and heating it up??

Just need a little more direction from some experienced ham folk. 5-6 hours till I hit 140??

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• I did Egret's ham last year with a spiral cut. It kinda defeats the purose of the injection.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    You can look at it as heating it up to 140, or you can look at it as taking something mediocre and making it full throttle, smokey and awesome. 

Good choice - pre-sliced you can get lots of flavor in the cracks - use a little Kentucky jelly, butt rub, honey, Steen's cane syrup - sky's the limit :D

·
  • Yea Nola that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was gonna skip the inject and do like a lift and tuck.

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    You can look at it as heating it up to 140, or you can look at it as taking something mediocre and making it full throttle, smokey and awesome. 

Good choice - pre-sliced you can get lots of flavor in the cracks - use a little Kentucky jelly, butt rub, honey, Steen's cane syrup - sky's the limit :D
    hahaha full throttle.  But seriously even just tossing some smoke at a spiral ham is somewhat gamechanging.
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    Yea Nola that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was gonna skip the inject and do like a lift and tuck.
    its puts the rub in the cracks.   =))
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,921
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    edited December 2012
    Anyone else up stoking and smoking?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

<:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,106
    with the spiral cuts i like to put them in a pan with juices and bast from time to time with a turkey baster to keep it from drying out, the salt intensifies in the ham when it gets dryer. i would do what your doing with the juice in the pan. you dont have to cook it to 140either, its already cooked so if the outside is looking good and the inside is warm its done, alot of spiral cut places will tell you to just serve it cold but put heating directions on the package because people dont want to hear that
    ·
  • I think I'm going to have a go at egrets ham too. Is the maple syrup in the injection supposed to be "real" syrup?
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,032
    I think I'm going to have a go at egrets ham too. Is the maple syrup in the injection supposed to be "real" syrup?
    Yep, real syrup. I use Grade A mainly because I've never been able to find grade B!! :))
    ·
  • Whole Foods has grade B maple syrup.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
  • Thanks - looking forward to it.
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    Anyone else up stoking and smoking? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P
    Still one of the best ever................

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    cazzy said:
    Anyone else up stoking and smoking? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P <:-P
    Still one of the best ever................

i remember being on the board that night and there was only about 2 posts in that thread.. i was thinking at the time no way is this a real thread is for realz.  it was awesome :))
    ·

• Haha. But this is of the ky varietal...much more of a delicacy
    ·
  • @Cazzy - I'm Canadian is that Kentucky Jelly? 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·

@Cazzy - I'm Canadian is that Kentucky Jelly? 

I think Greg Focker would be better suited answering that question! :P

·
  • Ha y'all guys are great.

I bought the ham today. Got a spiral cut smoked ham today.

I'm just wing it with the advice an egert's as a base.

Boight real maple syrup, honey and I've got all the other stuff. Gonna do some brown sugar too. I will open it Christmas Eve and stuff the slits with a glaze concoction and cove it with syrup and brown sugar. Then Christmas morning fire up the egg and let it get smoke for 3-4 hours real low temp 225 ish. We are eating at my parents around 5pm so I'll get it hot and foil it then just warm in their oven.

Someone mention basting it. I prolly will but I want the glaze to harden. After looking around I'm really just flavoring it a with smoke and glazing it.

Thanks for all the help.

They KY will set this one out, but I'm fully stocked for New Years <:-P

·
  • Ham is on. Been about 2 hours. Just gonna get glazed and some smoke. Gonna go to my parents in a few.

Someone suggested a turkey baster. That would be amazing help right now. I've got a brush and spoon.

Going good tho.

·