Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber Q Wifi - freezing my computer - can't connect

Options

I know I must be doing something wrong - but my new cyber q wifi and computer can't seem to talk.  It finds the cyber q as an ad hoc network but when I try to connect and enter the password the computer freezes - I can't even move the cursor.  I have to hard shut down the computer and restart. 

Should I try and set it up as a new ad hoc network with the wizard? 

Anyone else have this issue? and a fix?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Try to connect through your network in infrastructure mode.
    Options

okay I got it to connect in Ad hoc mode.  I had to reset my router to "g" only instead of auto b/g/n.

It worked right away and was super quick.  I am going to use it in ad hoc mode a couple times this weekend/next week and then I'll start playing with the infrastructure mode.  If I get that to work I'll try auto b/g/n again and see if it's any different.

Will update everyone.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    ad hoc mode is designed to be used where you don't have a network, like at a tailgate cook in a parking lot.  Infrastructure uses your network - your computer still functions on the internet, etc.
    edited December 2012
    Options
    ad hoc mode is designed to be used where you don't have a network, like at a tailgate cook in a parking lot.  Infrastructure uses your network - your computer still functions on the internet, etc.

That's the feature I'm most excited about - but also the one I need more time to walk through.  I can't risk it right now with my Christmas cooking plans are fast approaching...

Sunday - smoking homemade bacon @ 200

Christmas Eve - Steak and Lobster Tails

Christmas Day - Mad Max Turkey @ 325

Since I'll be using the cyber q for the first time for the bacon - I'm taking baby steps around the extra "tech" I've added to my cooking.

Of course if I switch it to infrastructure and can't get it to work - I could always reset the eeprom.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@nolaegghead - So I decided to try the firmware update - from 1.1 to 1.2.  I have never done command prompts - okay that's not totally true - dabbled with a bit in 1st year university - programming for science students.

I put the files in the downloads folder, got the command prompt changed to that directory and tried to enter the command line provided by bbq guru - >tftp -i 192.168.101.10 put tcimage.bin

When I entered it exactly the command prompt didn't recognize -i and gave an error message.  When I removed that and typed everything else it said the transfer was successful quoted a smaller number of bytes and gave the time. 

However, when I rebooted the unit it was still v1.1 firmware.

Can you explain the "-i" - is it correct and do I need it. 

Sorry - I read your bio - well the one that seemed realistic anyway.

Thanks,

:))

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sure.  the file you're transferring has a .bin extension - meaning it's binary. You need to do a binary file transfer, that's what the -i is for.  You need it.

-i   : Specifies binary image transfer mode (also called octet mode). In binary image mode, the file is transferred in one-byte units. Use this mode when transferring binary files. If -i is omitted, the file is transferred in ASCII mode. This is the default transfer mode. This mode converts the end-of-line (EOL) characters to an appropriate format for the specified computer. Use this mode when transferring text files. If a file transfer is successful, the data transfer rate is displayed.
    Options
    Sounds like you gotta busy cooking schedule. 

Here's a link to Microsoft's tftp

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491014.aspx

make sure you can ping your device and you have the source and destinations correct
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks @nolaegghead   I think that's much more helpful than the guru instructions.  Can you tell me though in the Microsoft command example:

tftp [-i] [Host] [{get | put}] [Source] [Destination]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[Host] is my laptop and [Destination] is the cyberq?  The cyberq IP I know - but how do I know my laptop adhoc IP address?  Do I need to put that in the command line?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Host is you, where your command window is.  Destination is where you're connecting.  "put" moves from you to your destination.  Get moves something from the destination to you.

You can find your laptop IP address by typing, into a command prompt window, IPCONFIG.  Now days I'm mostly on Unix systems (and mac) and I'm working to forget everything I learned on Windows. ;)