Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast. MEGAPIXELS of pictures. (you're warned - no mobile devices without unlimited)

Options
2»

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Quinn - that looks good, man, I don't see no funky stuff.

double - never did post a thread on that.  I will soon.  I took lots of pics when I built it.

definitely nuthin funky, just not purdy...that's by most standards. i think its beautiful!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nice roast, charred with a weed burner, looks nice, kinda creme standing rib brulee. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks skiddy.  I'm about to pull off the fish I threw on afterwards.

Mrs B made a nice horseradish sauce for the ribeye.
    Options
    Smoking operation.  I'm going to try to stay up for a little longer so I can get a full 6 hours of smoke on these fish.  Checked the temp, 59F.  It's cool enough outside I don't need the refrigeration.

imageimageimageimage
    Options
    It cost me $8.50 on Verizon to see the pics...worth it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

Ask for the recipe, please. Our go to has always been a prepared sauce made for restaurants here in the GWN. I like it, but it has little too much zip for most folks, have never found a good alternative. Maybe if you ask her nice she'd share....Thanks
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    It cost me $8.50 on Verizon to see the pics...worth it.
    Unlimited Data FTW!

• nolaegghead
    Options

Ask for the recipe, please. Our go to has always been a prepared sauce made for restaurants here in the GWN. I like it, but it has little too much zip for most folks, have never found a good alternative. Maybe if you ask her nice she'd share....Thanks
    Will do.  I'm at the office right now.  When I make it I just use light sour cream, salt, pepper and horseradish to taste.  I think she added some  other stuff.  Some people use mayo instead or in addition to the sour cream.  You can't go wrong with creme fraiche and horseradish if you can afford the calories.
    +1 on using creme fraiche...
  • bariccardi
    Options
    Looks amazing, well done!
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited December 2012
    Options
    That roast looks awesome. I found it interesting that it looks like a lot of the internal fat melts away. I'm sure that made the meat even more flavorful. Very nicely done. I hope mine turns out as well as yours looked.

I got a strange call from my Butcher today. They said the beef standing rib roasts were running huge this year and that the five rib roast I wanted, which usually goes about 2 pounds per rib was coming In at about 18.6 pounds. As mentioned their explanation was a bunch of the roasts had come in and they were all running huge. They still gave me the option to take a five rib roast or to give them a weight I would like to have. I said something between 10 and 11 pounds, but I am wondering if the beef is on steroids this year or what. This is a high end butcher shop so I trust them to get good meat, but still odd...

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Maybe they received only the large end of the primal? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Quite the rig you've got set up to cold smoke the salmon. I assume it's tough to get the temp down that low otherwise?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Hey Nola on that rib roast a couple of simple questions. Raised grid or on the fire ring? Direct of indirect?

Thanks.
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @DocWonmug - plate setter legs up, in a v-rack over baking pan.  Probably could have used a little more heat in the bottom, I'd just do it raised grate - the baking pan supplies the "indirect" part of the equation.

@JohnInCarolina - you want to keep fish as cool as possible.  If it goes over 90F, the meat starts getting more like hot smoked salmon.  Since it's usually hot as hell here, I have an AC that lets me smoke below ambient temperature.  When I did this batch, it was around 59F out, so no need to run the AC.  The pipe takes most of the heat out, which is good when it's cold out, bad when it's hot out (need a load on the AC for it to run right).