Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump in South Florida - Question

I need some help with tips on storing lump here in humid S. Florida. Do you need to put it in some type of sealable container or is just "clipping" the top of the charcoal bag sufficient? I just bought my XL yesterday ( 1st one) and it isn't being delivered until my table is finished which is hopefully this weekend. They are delivering my lump too and wanted to know if I need a container ready for it. Anyone from S. Florida have any suggestions on what they do? Otherwise my orders from ceramic grill store, thermoworks, dizzy pig, Amazon and EBay should be here before the grill arrives so I will be ready to go. - Michael
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,514
    I would grab a charcoal storage container(aka 5 gallon bucket) and use it to prevent moisture build-up.
    ·
  • That was kinda my thought, but was trying to keep my area looking clean and just didn't know if I could get away putting the bag inside the table (where a five gal bucket won't fit) where it would be hidden. I am sure I can come up with something. Just seeing what others do in my climate.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,899
    For around $16 you can get a rubbermaid charcoal storage bin.  it fits a 22 pound bag of lump.  I bought mine at academy.   I have a smaller one too, but don't buy many small bags. 

·
  • I live in the Tampa area, and I just store mine in the garage and have had no issues.  Of course, I don't keep more than a few bags at a time.
    ·
  • <----Orlando, garage, no issues. Happy egging!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • Thanks. I appreciate the help!
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Tampa area. I store the backstock in the garage, and the stuff I use in an old armoire. Haven't had trouble with it except last Thursday when it was really foggy and rainy. Couldn't get it lit well, but I did try lighting it differently which could have caused it. Summer time I've never had issues, but I may pick up a charcoal bin here soon.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·