Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
ja19412
ja19412 Posts: 20
What thermometer would someone suggest. I have a regular digital, but looking to upgrade

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The Thermapen from Thermoworks is the go to hand held thermo. It simply works. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Hands down thermapen, no question. But make sure to get the one with flames on it, it is way faster. :D

Disclaimer: only few will get that joke, but it was damn funny!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited December 2012
    Options

most will say thermapen and they are right.  i did however opt for this one made by cooperatkins.  it was 30 bucks and reads just as quick as a thermapen and has been very reliable thus far.  you can buy it on amazon.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    The Cooper Atkins 400 is a very good thermometer, it is also a thermistor, so by design it will not be as quick as a thermocouple unit, like the Thermapen. No doubt it is fast, just not as fast, but still a very good thermometer, I have a CDN 450, very similar and it is also quite good, just not as good as my super fast racing red Thermapen. (Which is also a status symbol) ;)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

agreed.  the 4 seconds it takes to give  me a reading is wayyyyyyyyyy tooo long.  i mean all the thermapen has to do is look at the meat and it tells you the temp instantaneously

=))
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2012
    Options

I do like the large digital read out that the Thermapen offers over the other options.  Thermoworks also makes a decent alternative the RT600(?) at the $30ish price point.

I am amused at the customers we get in the store here that flinch at the near $100 price point of the Thermapen and opt for a $20/30 option only to turn around and pick up a Thermapen in a month or two anyway.  Now they have almost $150 in montering equipment. 

Buy quality the first time and don't look back!  IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA