Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel cap turned white.

Last wek before I put the new gasket on I let the fire rip to clean out the egg. (Did a good job of that,) I put the daisy wheel cap inside on the grate. When I opened it next day it had turned white. Should I clean it and try to season it or go for high temperature paint? anyone else had this happen? In hindsight maybe I should have had the plate setter in also. Thanks for any suggestions? Thanks, Walt

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Never seen that happen before.  But, I would clean and season it.  Don't recommend painting it.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Just season with some Crisco
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The white is the ashed remains of the old seasoning.  I've seen that happen before on CI.  Like the others said - season it again.
    edited December 2012
    I kinda like the statement a white DFMT makes, such a refreshing change from the common everyday black. In low light it will be easier to see where the petals are set. I'd leave it, it will season by itself and as long as there is no rust on it, the metal is not being compromised, not that it is structural anyway. Give it a shot with an oil mister if you want. Do not paint it, unless you have some high heat header paint, maybe stencil Banks Headers on it.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    yeah, paint is bad, m'kay
  • I have to disagree with most of you people. Hands up. How many of you have a wood stove? The further north you live, the higher the likely-hood that you do. When you purchased your BGE from the store, what colour was the daisywheel? I will bet that it was the same colour as your woodstove was when it was new. There is a product on the market that is designed specifically for things like woodstoves and daisy wheels. It is called "stove black" or stove polish. This is what your daisywheel was coated with at the factory. They were not seasoned. 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• FlashkaBob, Plan-O-Bob agrees with you
  • nolaegghead
    Flashkabob - what exactly are you disagreeing with?  You're probably right, but the DFMT probably gets seasoned from oil condensing on it through cooking.

:D

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    gwarsh.  Ok, I begrudgingly agree with you too. :D
    I'm not sure how many people plan on cooking on the daisy wheel but I really don't think that it needs to be seasoned. Seasoning helps prevent food from sticking. If your food is hitting the daisywheel, then you've got serious problems inside that egg. "KAPOW" Stove black will return the wheel back to its original colour and at the same time protect against rust. Re-apply  as needed. 

• Thanks. Ordered some Rutland stove polish.
  • I'm not saying people don't do it. I just don't understand it.

• I admit to having pretty much no clue why you would season one.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Brush it with a wire brush and rub it with some Crisco and re-season. DO NOT PAINT
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    You put grease, oil, fat, lard, stove black (wax and black pigment) on it, they're all hydrocarbons...the thing gets hot because it sits on the exhaust port - and BAM - the hydrocarbons polymerize and they get seasoned whether you want it to or not.

I, and many people, store it in the egg after using where volatilized grease and oil condenses on the DFMT.  Next cycle, that oil gets cooked, like seasoning a pot, and the combination of oils/fats/waxes and heat keeps the sucker from rusting.
  • You put grease, oil, fat, lard, stove black (wax and black pigment) on it, they're all hydrocarbons...the thing gets hot because it sits on the exhaust port - and BAM - the hydrocarbons polymerize and they get seasoned whether you want it to or not.

I, and many people, store it in the egg after using where volatilized grease and oil condenses on the DFMT.  Next cycle, that oil gets cooked, like seasoning a pot, and the combination of oils/fats/waxes and heat keeps the sucker from rusting.
    Is that how it works?  Living in prime Rust-Belt country, where all ferrous metal rusts, I thought maybe elves stop by and polish it when I'm sleeping. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Actually, I just made all that stuff up.  It's elves. ;)
    This is true. They are the Keebler's cousins. They don't live in a tree, but they ride raccoons into attics. They go by Keggler elves. After re-seasoning, they take beers out of the fridge as payment.
  • Oh crap!!  I accused my teenager and her friends of drinking my beer!  Stupid elves!  It woulda been nice if they left a note.  "Enjoy the seasoning on your CI.  Grabbed a six pack before we left.  Your friend, Buddy the Elf."
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    I have to disagree with most of you people. Hands up. How many of you have a wood stove? The further north you live, the higher the likely-hood that you do. When you purchased your BGE from the store, what colour was the daisywheel? I will bet that it was the same colour as your woodstove was when it was new. There is a product on the market that is designed specifically for things like woodstoves and daisy wheels. It is called "stove black" or stove polish. This is what your daisywheel was coated with at the factory. They were not seasoned. 
    Two, now over 40 years of wood burning. Always have heated with wood, on the second face cord this winter. That's why I'd never use a Rutland on my egg, my fingers still itch from putting the damn things in my Regency. I never have used stove black, much like those "logs" to remove creosote , it is not needed. Modern, quality made wood stoves have factory finishes that simply do not require it, now if you have an old Elmira, Fisher, Timber Ridge or Drolet (CTC special), you just might need some stove black, or metal shoe polish as the wood crew calls it. A cast item in contact with moisture and oil, is best seasoned, not blacked. No doubt either black or oil will work, I prefer the tree hugging green approach, canola will do the job if you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when the daisy was brand new from the factory it was painted
    :)) after mine got burnt off i just let it rust, it only rusts so much
    :D paint or season it if you must
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it