Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite winter brew?

What is your preferred winter brew while egging? I am partial to Newcastle and Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I am looking to try a few others.

Comments

• Coors light cause we don't have a winter down here. It was 75 here today..
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • Sierra Nevada celebration ale is a good one...lots of good local ones here (CO) too. Good time of year for strong dark belgians, imperial stouts, barleywines, etc.
  • I'm a Woodford Reserve man myself, but dip in the Maker's Mark too.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • A good porter.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    I don't discriminate against whiskey. I am a Crown man but I also like Woodford.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    We have a great local spot here called natty greens- their buckshot amber is really good
    Greensboro, NC
  • cajunduck said:
    Coors light cause we don't have a winter down here. It was 75 here today..
    Would you like some beer with that water? All American beer is light beer isn't it????

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I am a man of many....uuugh.....talents.  But I am a rum aficionado.  I make many extraordinary cocktails, but in the winter time I usually stick to a Nicaraguan gold rum with soda for my everyday drink and Zombies and Jet Pilots for something a little fancier.
  • I'm partial to Colorado brews and there are a ton of tasty winter seasonals:
    My two favorites:  Odell -- Isolation Ale; Bristol Brewing Company -- Winter Warlock
    For the bourbon drinkers, Breckenridge Distillery is incredible for such a young enterprise 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Tröegs Mad Elf

Booyah!

Odell is awesome too.

Jenlain winter ale.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    New Castle started seasonal brews last year and they have a good winter Ale.  I like colorado brews the most but the man is busy keeping me down where I live so i get what I can smuggle in from Nevada.  Usually the new belgium seasonal is my go to.
  • Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig is great.
  • Unreal, as a craft ale:
    picked it up at Costco, $25 a 24, will cost me $20 in taxes, but well worth it, great little brewery.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    cajunduck said:
    Would you like some beer with that water? All American beer is light beer isn't it????
    Bob -you have to get out more, there was a time US brew was like making love in a canoe, when the 3.2 state laws were in effect. As a proud Canuck, I will put any of the USA west coast craft beers up against any of the Canadian beers. Their materials are better or equal in value and cheaper, their brewmasters are great and they sell lots because it is not taxed up the wazzoo. 
    It is all good....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    3.2 laws are horrid I live in UTAH not cool.  That said it makes me appreciate the good stuff more and I feel like  bootlegger hauling it over state lines.  
    cajunduck said:
    Bob -you have to get out more, there was a time US brew was like making love in a canoe, when the 3.2 state laws were in effect. As a proud Canuck, I will put any of the USA west coast craft beers up against any of the Canadian beers. Their materials are better or equal in value and cheaper, their brewmasters are great and they sell lots because it is not taxed up the wazzoo. 
    It is all good....

picked it up at Costco, $25 a 24, will cost me $20 in taxes, but well worth it, great little brewery.
    Their Black Butte porter is phenomenal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    the one i look forward to is shipyard prelude, pretty much only available during the ski season in maine. ice fishing i bring guinness, the can fits on the muffler of the four wheeler nicely to take the slush out of it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • For beer its a pint of Guinness, for the hard stuff i like MacCallan 12yo Single Malt
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012
    +1000 Mickey. I have a bottle waiting to be opened. Finishing off my Glenmorangie first.
    Their Black Butte porter is phenomenal.
    Agreed, in the summer their White IPA is nice, Black Butte is the evening around the camp fire sipping beer. Had never tried this Jubelale Winter Ale, like all their products excellent. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Mickey said:
    i save the macallans 18 for a late night summer drink, pretty hard to beat imho
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Sierra Nevada celebration ale is very good - Only Sierra I like.

That Macallan 12 looks good.  A friend gave me a bottle of Macallan 18.  I have tasted it and while its smooth its a little "sweet" maybe is the work I am looking for?

I got myself a bottle of Johny Walker Blue that I am waiting to open.

Garnerville, NY
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Winter time brings the Christmas beers.  One of my fav's:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mauch5 said:
    What is your preferred winter brew while egging? I am partial to Newcastle and Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I am looking to try a few others.

Great Lakes, yes! As a transplant down here in Houston, maybe the thing I miss most is Great Lakes beer. We have St. Arnolds which is pretty good but it's still no Great Lakes. I'm a fan of wheat beers, so always partial to Holy Moses.

Those winter ales are a bit tough though when it's 80 outside.

Jubale x2
    fridge also has equal parts Snow Cap
    and a pinch of Snow Day

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Beer...with no moderation.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Too many great craft beers in the Seattle area to have a favorite winter one. I prefer a darker one this time a year like Mak and Jak porter made in Redmond.
  • cajunduck said:
    It is all good....
    Yer right! I don't get out much however... Light beer????? at a premium price????? I don't get it. The brewers are selling a watered down product, telling you that it has less calories, giving you less barley and hops and selling it at the same price or higher sometimes. If you want to save some money buy regular beer, put in a few ice cubes and by the time you are finished, you will have consumed a lighter beer. Not only that, you would end up with more beer!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    @FlaskaBob -  you said "Yer right! I don't get out much however... Light beer????? at a premium price????? I don't get it. The brewers are selling a watered down product, telling you that it has less calories, giving you less barley and hops and selling it at the same price or higher sometimes. If you want to save some money buy regular beer, put in a few ice cubes and by the time you are finished, you will have consumed a lighter beer. Not only that, you would end up with more beer!"

You are right, the Liquor boards control the market thru price, not quality. Not sure the brewers have that much clout. Lights only sell at premium prices in Canada, although I'm not so sure about the prices in NY, Ohio, Mich. 
    In Washington state, I can get light beer at a substantial discount, 30 pack of cans or 24 bottles for <$20. The craft beers are usually had for <$25 for 24 bottles. And US 12oz bottles are 355ml, not that stripped down English 12oz, 341ml. Hell I can buy brewed in BC 24X11.5 US oz bottled Kokanee for <$20, pay $15 tax and still be less than what the BC liquor stores charge. (Sorry for the rant, but when it comes to alcohol us Canucks are dumb as a bag of hammers)