Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mrs. Cen-Tex's (AKA The Fabulous Janell) Tamale Recipe

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    sous vide the pork, then throw it on for some smoke, but not enough to develop a bark.
    Cen-Tex......thanks for this post.  I've always wanted to make tamales.  I grew up eating them in the Mississippi delta.  Most don't know that we have a rich tamale history there.  It was the street food of choice in the early 20th century and remains a local delicacy.  Here is link for anyone interested.  http://www.tamaletrail.com/introduction.shtml

I have always wanted to try to make them.  This is great....thanks.
    really cool. Did not know that. This recipe is awesome and using smoked pulled pork really gives them a cool flavor you don't find in most tamales. I'm smoking this butt then braising in the red Chile sauce to get really good and tender. One note: you don't want a ton of bark like you do on a BBQ butt. If it starts to get crusty, wrap it or finish in a braise to keep it soft. chunks of bark in tamales = no bueno
    I'm not worried about a little bark.......I'll just consider it "peel 'em and eat 'em " !  I love that bark.
    i do too but not in tamales. I like them very smooth and light

Actually what I meant was: peel and eat the  bark and then use the rest for tamales. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Griffin said:

Look at the post count from those two...less than a year (shaking my head). Well, at least they do provide some good infor along with all their post padding. ;)

Just got done eating a chicken and green chile tamale for breakfast. Love me some tamales (or as Mrs. G jokingly says "I think they are pronounced tuh-mAles.)

yeah, I got a little carried away at first. I have settled in a little better now. It has become apparent that not every single post needs my attn or comments :))
    They might not need it, but it sure does make it entertaining.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Sounds awesome.  Need to start saving pig fat.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    On the day I wanted to make the tamales publix did not have pork fat.  I used beef instead.  I am sure there was quite a different flavor but they were still great.  This time it might be pork fat all the way.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We were just laughing because this year I had a belly and a ham that we are curing and we didn't even have to buy pig fat! We had our own. Probably a sign you aren't eating so well these days when you have 4.5 lbs of pig fat lying around
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    CT Can you just use lard or is the rendered fat better?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT Can you just use lard or is the rendered fat better?
    You can use store bought but apparently making your own is the way to go for a few reasons. the stuff on the shelf is hydrogenated to make it shelf stable so it's way worse for you and it does not have the flavor of rendered fat. Rendered fat has less than half of the bad stuff in shelf stable lard and 10x the flavor
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I have used lard in the past.  Rendered fat is 100% better.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I have used lard in the past.  Rendered fat is 100% better.

Thanks Granny. We've never done them any other way so i wasn't 100% sure
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    CT, your welcome. I have also done them with canola oil (trying to be healthy) rendered fat is the only way to go. I only do them once a year and give a lot of away so it is a real treat and a definite splurge meal.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    CT, your welcome. I have also done them with canola oil (trying to be healthy) rendered fat is the only way to go. I only do them once a year and give a lot of away so it is a real treat and a definite splurge meal.
    we only do them once too so we do it right and don't worry about the pig fat. They are a real treat that way.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Wellllllll, I had a container of frozen margaritas in the freezer and it leaked all over everything. Stopped what I was doing and had to clean out the freezer and lo and behold what did I find? 6 tamales that I made on may 5. That's what's for dinner - TFJ tamales. That should hold me over until the super bowl.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Wellllllll, I had a container of frozen margaritas in the freezer and it leaked all over everything. Stopped what I was doing and had to clean out the freezer and lo and behold what did I find? 6 tamales that I made on may 5. That's what's for dinner - TFJ tamales. That should hold me over until the super bowl.
    nice! we are rendering fat tonight so my house smells like a taqueria. bought the butt today to smoke/braise and all the masa too. We are ready to roll.

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Can't wait for all the pictures. ;;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Gee, Granny. I didn't know you liked to see pig fat rendering :\">

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Actually, no.  But thank you.  The process of assembling is what I had in mind.  I have a hard time trying to figure out how to spread the masa, stuff and roll them.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Actually, no.  But thank you.  The process of assembling is what I had in mind.  I have a hard time trying to figure out how to spread the masa, stuff and roll them.  
    I'll take plenty of pics of the process for sure
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks   ;;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Actually, no.  But thank you"

I laughed out loud at that one. Perfect

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The but has been rubbed down and is on the egg. Will pull at 160 and braise in the red chile sauce to finish.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos