Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my best burgers

Egged bacon, avocado burgers inspired by Doc's post. I slow cooked bacon indirect and then the burgers till I could flip. After that I removed the PS and opened it up to around 600. Let them on till charred. I was a little disappointed they came off medium and figured they'd be tough and dry. Even at medium they were juicy with a really tasty crust. I mixed dressing mix and a few bread crumbs in the 80/20 chuck...also used DP raising the steaks. I'll do again...soon.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great henapple!   I love the combination of bacon and avocodo.  I usually end up cooking burgers medium too and I'm usually happy with the results. 

What kind of dressing mix did you use?  Ranch? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks and sounds good. What could be better....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    super nice!
  • I'm telling you, the reverse sear, the answer to just about everything. Looks good. The other thing I've found is when a group is being fed, these burgers hold much better than a traditional grilled burger. Seem to retain their juice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    ...and make light patties with lots of air, and don't "squash" the juice out with a spatula like you always see people do.  bad! bad!
    edited December 2012
    ...and make light patties with lots of air, and don't "squash" the juice out with a spatula like you always see people do.  bad! bad!
    what? that guy at the local radio active Ronnie's has been leading me astray all these years.....

I use my compressor, set at <10psi to pump up the burger... See oh Master of Science I am learning. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well the caveat is whether you are making them on a grill, or the more traditional way of frying them on a griddle(or pan). You actually do want to squash them within the first 30 seconds to create the maximum meat-to-metal contact ratio for crusty deliciousness. On a grill, not so much. As Nola said, less is more.

Hooray Maillard Reaction!
  • nolaegghead
    Good thing this is the Big Green Egg forum and not the Big Black Griddle forum :D
    I wanted to slow cook the burgers even lower. I'm struggling with the Ozark oak. The bacon stayed right on 300. Took the bacon off and waited 30 min with the burgers in the freezer (great tip), looked up and the temp was 425 and couldn't get it back down. Mind you this was an hour after holding 300.this has happened before. Doing a pork roast tonight...going with the BGE.
  • Eggcelsior
    Good thing this is the Big Green Egg forum and not the Big Black Griddle forum :D
    Uh oh! What if I use my CI griddle on the Egg! The Mayans were right!
  • nolaegghead
    Uh oh! What if I use my CI griddle on the Egg! The Mayans were right!
    END OF DAYS!!!  ZOMBIES!! CATS N DOGS GET ALONG!!  APOCALYPSE!!
    All of your jokes have me rotflmao but you're not helping with with my temp problem. Dammit, focus.
  • nolaegghead
    You partially froze them...that helps.  I'd reduce the temp to 450 or so and cook to temp using an internal instant read thermometer.  I live on the edge - I cook my burgers to about 130.  I try to grind my own meat when I do that.
    But my problem with the Ozark suddenly climbing...have you used it?
  • nolaegghead
    No, never have.  Your bottom vent should be around 3/4" open.   If it was a couple of inches, I can see a building fire (the amount of lump lit) be the temperature limiter - to much air flow, and you might think you're controlling it with the vent.
    edited December 2012
    Assume we are talking about dome temp. The temp climbed after you opened the dome to take of the bacon. The dome thermo should have dropped then gone back up as the egg becomes stable. The only way it would rise is if there was more burning fuel and more air. If you didn't change settings, including the DFMT setting, when you opened the dome, your egg is magic or maybe possessed. Is it possible the DFMT setting was changed when you opened the dome? If not correctly aligned it can swing and change the air flow. Can't believe the lump brand has that much to do with it. Once air flow is fixed, so typically is burn rate. 

And good luck trying to get Nola to focus, I'm sure he is ADHA... good ADHA, but still ADHA.
  • +1 looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    I am.  If I'm cooking direct over 350 F or so, I don't use the DFMT at all, sorry, that was my assumption.
    edited December 2012
    Assume we are talking about dome temp. The temp climbed after you opened the dome to take of the bacon. The dome thermo should have dropped then gone back up as the egg becomes stable. The only way it would rise is if there was more burning fuel and more air. If you didn't change settings, including the DFMT setting, when you opened the dome, your egg is magic or maybe possessed. Is it possible the DFMT setting was changed when you opened the dome? If not correctly aligned it can swing and change the air flow. Can't believe the lump brand has that much to do with it. Once air flow is fixed, so typically is burn rate. 

And good luck trying to get Nola to focus, I'm sure he is ADHA... good ADHA, but still ADHA.
    Damn. You're so ADHD you typed ADHA instead! Welcome to the club. I was diagnosed in the 5th grade. I still can't sit still.

Now what were we saying?
  • nolaegghead
    edited December 2012

=))

I'm ADHD and Dyslexic, you gotta problem wit dat?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Dyslexic walks into a bra...
  • @Eggcelsoir - SWMBO is an Orton Tutor, so I checked with her before the post, seems here in politically correct Canada, we are so polite and would not say s**t if we had a mouthful, individuals are now referred to as Attention Deficit Hyper Active, ADHA, we are no longer allowed to use the term ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. There, do you feel less stigmatized?
    Again, as CentTex once said, two countries divided by a common language. 
  • Eggcelsior

@Eggcelsoir - SWMBO is an Orton Tutor, so I checked with her before the post, seems here in politically correct Canada, we are so polite and would not say s**t if we had a mouthful, individuals are now referred to as Attention Deficit Hyper Active, ADHA, we are no longer allowed to use the term ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. There, do you feel less stigmatized?

Again, as CentTex once said, two countries divided by a common language. 
    Well, I don't feel less stigmatized, because I was never stigmatized to begin with. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Up yonder, you guys speak the Queen's English. Down here, we speak 'murican. :))

• @Eggcelsoir - No misunderstanding, without the great banter we would have never seen Nola's protest sign, SWMBO loved it, plans to use it at her next Orton training session... 
    There are so many folks with dyslexia, thank goodness many receive a diagnosis early and learn how to make the most of what they have. 
    Judy had a student that was 15 in grade 10 and reading at a grade 2 level, the system had just passed him along. Once diagnosed as dyslexic, she found his passion was cars, together she taught him to read my old Hot Rod magazines and the driver's education handbook. That was 10 years ago, every year she gets a Christmas card from him "Thanking the lady who taught me to read". Feels good when you make a difference.  
  • Eggcelsior
    edited December 2012
    Skiddy, I totally agree! I just want you to know that I was just being silly the whole time. I really do have ADHD and it's people like your wife that make the difference in kids lives who live with disabilities. I had a good friend with dyslexia and watching him grow with a renzulli teacher was awesome. I had the same teacher assist me with learning DNA replication and gene mapping in 6th grade. I was a "problem child" because I would finish my work early and start reading personal books. Since I had so much free time, I was asked to setup the project and I then got to present it to my class. One of the biggest reasons I went with science as opposed to history. Say "Thank You" to your wife for everything she does.