Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New way to do Beef Short Ribs, Flanken Cut

Options

Hello all-

My family loves the Flanken Cut Beef Short Ribs. I normally do an Asian-style marinade that includes sugar for about 12 hours and sear over a blazing fire for just a couple of minutes. It's almost like beef candy when it comes off the heat.

I'd like to try something different this go around. Does anyone have a Short Rib favorite for this type of cut? To braise or not to braise? High heat/low and slow?

Thanks!

Eric

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    edited December 2012
    Options

Im not sure i know what flanken means (probably should but i don't)

I did this the other night and they were wondeful.  Yes i know we are not to cook to time but i just looked at them and knew they were done.

8 beef short ribs

1 whole head of garlic separated and skinned – should yield around 20 or more cloves of garlic<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2 cups red wine (I used Pinot Noir but I recommend a Cab, Syrah or a Zen as a “bigger” red would have been even better)

½ cup beef stock

Coat each rib with olive oil, S&P and dust with flour.

Melt two Tbls of butter with two Tbls of olive oil in a cast iron dutch over

Lightly brown all sides of the ribs on the stove top in DO

After browning each rib add one cup of the wine, the stock and all the garlic cloves to the ribs.

Put the DO (lid off) on the egg (indirect setup) and smoke with hickory for 4 to 5 hours at 225 -250.

Bring the DO in the house and remove the ribs and tent under foil. 

Place the DO on the stove top.

Add the remaining wine to the DO and stirring continually reduce all the sauce to the consistency of gravy.  The garlic cloves at this point are as soft as butter.  Mash up the cloves during this process.

Plate the ribs and pour the sauce over the ribs.

When in doubt add more pepper.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Flanken is cross-cut as opposed to parallel cut or "English style".
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Thanks everyone. Yeah SmokeyPitt, that does look good. GLW: Eggcelsior is correct, they are cross-cut beef ribs and available at Sam's Club. They used to be around $2.89/lb and now can run as high at $4.95/lb now. I'm thinking a braise then smoke is a good play.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating