Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pheasant ideas?

Went pheasant hunting today and have a bunch of breasts to cook. To me the meat tastes like a cross between chicken and turkey- anyone done anything creative with them?
Greensboro, NC
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Brine those suckers!  Quick brine salt sugar water and some herbs (thyme, rosemary, garlic etc).  About 2-3 hours.  Pull rinse, let them rest in the fridge another 2-3 hours.  The rest is key, the brining will help them bleed out too if you have any shot in the breast.  I prefer it cooked hot and fast think like 400 raised direct should be quick.  Or you could roast a little lower with some cornstarch and rub and get an almost breaded feel.  Im excited to see what you get.  
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Ripenem on this and the other forum makes a killer pheasant neuberg...maybe he will chime in.
    ·
  • I made a pheasant cordon blue one night it turned out really good but it was so long ago I don't remember the details.
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,463
    So the time has come- brined them for about 3 hours. Planning on a couple different ways... Grilling 350 dome indirect. Sounds like they can really dry out so covering g some in bacon and will leave some without. Put DP shakin the tree on them.
    image.jpg 298.7K
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    Threw some cherry chips on and we are off. Sorry for bad pics- too lazy to get camera out
    image.jpg 170.4K
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    Pulled at 160- the ones in bacon were significantly more moist than the ones without. I sliced the ones in bacon some plain and some with bone suckin sauce. Ended up doing a quasi neuberg with the others. no cream but really liked the addition of the olives. Next time I would add more. Both the wife and the neighbors really liked them both. Really a good dish- ready to go again to try some modifications. image
    image.jpg 291.7K
    image.jpg 283.6K
    image.jpg 292.7K
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    looks delicious!

·
  • Looks great - My family loves them stuffed with jalapeño slices and then wrapped in bacon as you did.  You can also spray them with a bourbon/worcestshire mix (50/50) to keep them moist toward the end.  Biggest challenge is to get all the shot out.  Always seem to be one piece hanging around that the brining didn't get out.

·