Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging, then eating out.

About to take my beautiful bride out to celebrate our 24th anniversary. Gonna try out a supposedly great restaurant called Passionfish in Reston, VA. It was recommended by a chef friend, and we can't wait.

Got me to thinking, we don't much want to go to restaurants any more unless they are really good, because of what we have been able to produce on our Eggs and our kitchen for the past 10 years. Most of the time, it is disappointing to go out. But the really good restaurants are hard to beat because there are chefs that take pride in their work and cook food every day....way more than we can. And often more creatively as well. But it costs a ton. 

Anyways, just wondering how many Eggers eat out less, but splurge on fancy schmancy chefy good places a little less often??
Cheers!
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• I do less often but still really love a great meal out. I get to eat a lot of nice meals on the company dime so I'm not so upset when they aren't perfect.Love innovative suhsi and Indian food and even though I can cook those things, sometimes it's better to let the pros do their thing. I enjoy steak less and less though. It's rarely anything special so I just do that at home.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hardly ever go out unless it is ethnic. My accountant gives me a hard time about my once healthy entertainment account.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Interesting, but we hardly ever enjoyed fancy schmancy places, often disappointed, so we tend to do sushi, prime rib, steaks and such at home. 

We prefer good pub grub, there is something about a really good $10 burger/fish and chips/chicken sandwich and a beer that just hits the spot. It is hard to find, but well worth the search. There are so many craft beer places now that have excellent food, it is hard to make a choice. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddy,

Steak and kidney pie eh!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Well, hopefully this trip won't leave us disappointed! I am totally stoked. We're off!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Have fun my Brother...happy anniversary

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• adajmk
    adajmk Posts: 10
    Chris, let me know what you think of PassionFish.  I am in the northern Virginia area as well and my wife and I have heard good things about it.

Jon
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    hear hear Happy Anniversary!  to reply to your question, we as a family don't eat out often,  Maybe to an Sushi bar one every three months.

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Lan and I really liked Passionfish. Some of the best food we've had in the area, and the service was outstanding. We got a couple of their specialty sushi rolls (really good), the fried oysters (incredible), and the macadamia encrusted halibut (very nice...only drawback to that dish was the veggies it was served with were way too salty). The portions were not large, but obviously the emphasis was on the quality.  We will surely go again....once we save up ;)

Much appreciate the anniversary wishes! 
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • I have found that when we eat out now we are a little more critical and selective of what we get. Many times we feel our BBQ is better as well as our sides.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i only splurge when cooking myself, i try and keep the daily food budget under 3 bucks a day literally. i see people eating a lobster at 30 bucks a plate in a restaurant and want to bang my head on the table, they were under 3 bucks a pound all summer right off the boat
    :))naw, drag me to a fancy place and im looking at the burger menu or a simple pasta
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rarely do the beautiful Gabriella and I go out for a meal thanks to the great food coming off the Egg. Although walking by an Italian restaurant beside the Air Canada Center in Toronto I saw an XL Egg on the patio. Have to try that place one day

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    The egg has ruined the BBQ joints we used to frequent. We still go out but definitely not as often.
  • Its good to hear that you and the Mrs. enjoyed celebrating your 24th!

Happy wife, happy life.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    last time I ate out not traveling, or a quick burger for lunch, was about 3 months ago when we had friends in town that we hadn't seen for a while.  I enjoy the challenge of making a better meal.  Plus I like to have people over, blow their minds with my "new found" skills.
  • Skiddy,

Steak and kidney pie eh!

Lately steak and Guinness hits the spot... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    snake and skiddy pie

Sometimes its nice to go out. Maybe part of it is the whole experience. Getting dressed up and all fancy instead of sitting around in jeans or sweat pants, going somewhere nice, the ambiance, the music, people waiting on you for a change, giving you time to sit back and relax, not having to plan a menu, go grocery shopping, prep the food, cook the food and then clean up. No, you get to spend quality time with your loved one and enjoy each other's company. I totally get it, Chris. I think we go out less, but try to hit better quality, better reviewed restaurants, maybe not all fancy schmancy, but definitely not Olive Garden or Red Lobster type places. More often local places that are known for having a great chef (and no, not a famous TV star chef who is never in the restaurant because he's running like 8 restaurants and doing the TV gig)

Congrats on the 24 and glad you had an enjoyable dinner.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Lucky for me, my tv celebrity chef(Bryan Voltaggio) is at his joint almost every day.

I too frequent the finer establishments for the service and quality w/o the need to clean up or prep. I can't remember the last time I went to a chain.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I love to go out to eat.  Living in Chicago there are plenty of great food options at any price range and for any type of food.  Even though i can make alot of great food at home with the egg and other kitchen tools i find it is hard to beat a great restaurant. I have found that if i try and duplicate something from a good restaurant (like girl and the goat, blackbird, Avec, Next, Publican, ect.) that it cost almost as much, if not more to make at home because i am making such a small quantity.  Nothing like buying $40 of unique spices to make one dish.  Plus when you go out to eat you do not have to do the dishes.