Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shipping Pulled Pork As Gifts

Options
Does anyone have a proven way to ship a large bag or two of pulled pork long distance CONUS overnight? How about 2nd day?

Comments

• pswarren
    Options
    I have not done it, but if I did, I would vacuum seal and freeze it first and then pack with dry ice depending on how long it would take. Next day shipping, even 2nd day can get very $$$.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

i have. pretty much exactly like pswarren said. Saved some of those foam coolers that omaha steaks came in. btw i do not buy omaha steaks but accepted them as gifts. vac sealed the q, packed with dry ice, applied mucho clear tape and dropped the foam cooler inside a cardboard shipping box and sent her off. It's rather expensive, i did second day and all was still frozen, even the 2 racks of ribs. I'm thinking it is something that works better this time of year.

I think the problem you run into is finding a foam cooler to ship it in that doesn't leak and is thick enough inside the carboard box not so that it won't break. I had originally thought about buying a cheap softsided cooler from wally world and packing inside the carboard box. then i thought of how all soft coolers leak eventually and envisioned ups tossing it from the truck as it leaked melted dry ice.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    mwraulst said:

i have. pretty much exactly like pswarren said. Saved some of those foam coolers that omaha steaks came in. btw i do not buy omaha steaks but accepted them as gifts. vac sealed the q, packed with dry ice, applied mucho clear tape and dropped the foam cooler inside a cardboard shipping box and sent her off. It's rather expensive, i did second day and all was still frozen, even the 2 racks of ribs. I'm thinking it is something that works better this time of year.

I think the problem you run into is finding a foam cooler to ship it in that doesn't leak and is thick enough inside the carboard box not so that it won't break. I had originally thought about buying a cheap softsided cooler from wally world and packing inside the carboard box. then i thought of how all soft coolers leak eventually and envisioned ups tossing it from the truck as it leaked melted dry ice.

Well the good news is, if it leaks dry ice, it will leak as deposed CO2 that is condensing the water in the surrounding air. Tell the driver to bring a black light. It will look awesome!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could foodsaver portions, then throw them in boiling water and pasteurize.  I make no statement or claim on safety here, but we buy fully cooked pasteurized stuff all the time that has a shelf life longer than shipping time.  Maybe something worth researching.