Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru just arrived. It's a Green!!!

Options
BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my DigiQ DX2 in the mail today. Anyone have any tips that you wished you had known when you got it? I have one question also. I have an XL, and the draft door is curved but the adapter is flat. Does anyone do anything to the adaptor so it fits better?

Thanks
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    you have to bend it so that it curves with the draft door. enjoy! it makes things much better. Merry Christmas!
    Brandon, MS
  • rdmudd
    rdmudd Posts: 24
    Options
    I bent mine slightly to match the curve. Dont let anything get on the probe wires(such as meat juice or sauce). It will give you a false reading. Connect the wires in the correct order to ease setup headaches. Enjoy and sleep good at night.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I ordered mine Alabama CRIMSON !.......I thought it was the best color ! lol  ! I opened my vise about two inches, laid  it across the top and hit it with a soft faced hammer in the middle until it fit. I try to get my temp up without the Guru and then get it going with it blowing only about 30% of the time, by closing the damper on the blower. On low and slows, the damper has to be closed down more because it can draft through the fan, even though it's not running. RTR !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Bullibe said:
    I ordered mine Alabama red.......I thought it was the bestest ! lol Oh wait that is CRIMSON !

Heresy!  Purple and gold, or black and gold, or GREEN. 

Read up on the damper - if you can't get the temp down, close the damper in the adapter.  Typically I run it about 1/4 open.  The daisy wheel isn't that important.  You can just leave it cracked open.  Keep in mind, you're only going to use this for low and slows.  Don't even try using for searing steaks or cooking over 350.  Also, never put the probe in where it isn't shielded by something (indirect mode) like a plate setter.  You'll fry the probe.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.