Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got prime Rib for Christmas now what?

So, I went to the butcher, and they had prime rib for 5.79/lb!! I asked if it was priced correctly since usually it is much more. They said it was the right price, so I got 2 roasts 7.21 lbs and 7.75 lbs.  So the question I have is, what do I do now? Do I leave them wrapped as is? Do unwrap and place on a plate, and cover loosely with a paper towel?  Leave them fully uncovered?  I do not think I want to freeze them... What is the best way to hold them for the next 9 days?

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    At the risk of ressurecting the "dead" I would give them the dry-age routine,  I'm getting on that band wagon for Xmas prime on Monday.  You cannot go wrong- just give it a search on google and enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Talked to my butcher today if there vacuum sealed they last 90days once there opened 5 days
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    lousubcap said:
    At the risk of ressurecting the "dead" I would give them the dry-age routine,  I'm getting on that band wagon for Xmas prime on Monday.  You cannot go wrong- just give it a search on google and enjoy!
    Thank you for you your response!
    Not sure what you mean by resurrecting the dead - was there another post like this that caused problems or something?

Anyway, I am not sure what I should do at this point, and I do not want the meat to go bad - I hope I did not make a mistake and get it too soon.  I did look up dry aging, and it makes me a bit nervous. I do not know why, usually I will try anything once. I checked the temp in my fridge - it was right on with the thermapen - 34.4F - but I have no idea about the humidity.  I was thinking of leaving them wrapped to Wed, then air drying from there. Just put it on a cookie rack so the air can get around it. It is just my wife and I, so opening and closing the door is not that big of a concern of mine. But it still makes me nervous.

Any thoughts from anyone?
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Now what? If your not sure please send it to me, I will figure out something to do with it. Do a quick search on here on dry aging. There have been several discussions about it. Here is a link to the one i've done. Good luck.  http://www.finecooking.com/articles/dry-aging-beef-pays-off-big-flavor.aspx
  • i say go for it...this is on day 20...will be 28 for christmas cook. on a rack in fridge that rarely gets opened--34* with a dish of water to maintain a little humidity. image
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They'll be fine.  Don't freeze them, just leave them in the fridge in the wrapping.