Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib.."cook now, eat later"

I have a neighbor who wants a prime rib for Saturday but I'll be out of town.  Has anyone ever cooked a prime rib ahead of time?  The only thing I can think of is to try to cook it extra rare and then slice and reheat in broth.  This scares me because I have a hard time pulling the meat for rare.  I always seem to over cook it a bit.  I would like to help her out but I certainly don't want to ruin her dinner!

Comments

• I did this for a co-worker at Thanksgving. I cooked a prime to 120 internal and foiled immediately and into the fridge. He reheated in the oven at 350 for a half hour and then 225 for two hours. They were very happy with the result. I cooked it on Wed afternoon and they ate the next afternoon.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • Thanks rebellab.  That gives me a little confidence.  Do you think 4 days in the fridge would make any difference?  I don't see why it would.  Cute pup, by the way.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I've smoked prime rib, foiled it in the fridge for 24 hours, then took it out and sliced it and threw it on the grill for a couple minutes a side. Turned out excellent.
  • Tyenic......do you remember at what temp you pulled it?  I'm thinking low and slow and pulling it at 115.  I know that a lot of cooks here don't like to add smoke to the PR but I'm thinking that a little smoke might be good in this case.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I pulled at 120 degrees. When I sliced it the next day I added a little more rub to it. The Au Jus bath works well too. You should be safe either way you go.