Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Boston Butt troubles

SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 360
I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.  My wife picked up a 5 lb Boston butt roast.  Last night, I applied yellow mustard and Dizzy Dust, and wrapped it in plastic wrap.  This morning at 7:00, I went out and cleaned out everything.  I filled the firebox with Royal Oak and after the coals were lit I put the platesetter in, legs up.  Drip pan underneath, and stabilized at 275.  Just before I put the roast on, I threw a handful of hickory chips on the lump.  I used a rib rack, and didn't tie up the butt.

I didn't check it until noon, and dome temp was 300.  I used a probe thermometer and the roast was just below 160, which I've found to be my standard stall temp, regardless of meat.  I closed it back up, and looked at dome temp again at 1:00, 1:30 and 2:00.  At 1:00pm, dome temp was down to 275.  By 2:00, it was 250.  It's 4:45 right now, and the dome temp is below 200. I'm out of lump, and frustrated with everything.  I pulled the roast, FTC'd it and now I'm waiting.  

The temp of the roast when I put it in the cooler was 182.  I figured that was as hot as it was going to get with dome temp below 200.  The oven is occupied with Christmas cookies, so I'm pretty much screwed.

Here's my issue:  it's been lightly snowing/freezing rain off and on all day.  I don't have the egg covered.  I opened it twice in 8 hours to check the temperature of the butt. Both times, the egg was open for maybe 15 seconds. Would the rain affect the dome temp and/or cooking temp?  It's my first time trying to cook in any kind of precip.

I figured that a full firebox at 275 would last me a good 10-15 hours.  At 8 hours, my fire is out.  What did I do wrong? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments