Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about adding a second egg

I have had an XL since May and am thinking about getting a small with Christmas $$. I think it would make cooking steaks Trex method easier; searing on the small, then finishing on the big boy that is already holding at ~450. Is there anyone that has a similar setup that is extremely happy with it, or maybe wishes they hadn't spent $500 on another egg that sits unused?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I had a large, got a small. Use the small as much or more than the large. You will be surprised what the small can handle. Burns much less lump than a large and hears up more quickly. Also, I can pick it up and take it places easily.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    try craigs list for a used egg so you may be able to cut your losses if it dosen't work out...i bought one this week on CL and paid half price....early Xmas for me!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• I have noted the skip one size phenomena - if you have an XL, think about and consider a medium. Will still allow the cook flexibility you want and provides a little more space when you don't want to fire up the "big boy". Last time I checked, the price was maybe $100 more for a MBGE vs a small. 
    If you also want portability, the small is a better choice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    There was a small on ebay the other day in Myrtle Beach. Looked good for 200.  
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I have a small, medium, and large. I use the small the most. It heats up quicker and there is plenty of room for grilling. (4 of us) I did get the small and medium off of craigslist. You have to be fast if it is a deal they don't last more than a hour or two. I have an app on my phone that would search craigslist every 15 minutes for keywords. That is the only way to pick one up around here.
  • I got a lg first, then added a med 3 mo later. I use the med more now...I got a second egg for the versatlity of cooking 2 diff things at same time. I love both and no regrets...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Just added a mini today to go along with my large. Unfortunately living in the Midwest and my townhome association doesn't allow charcoal on decks. I don't mind rolling the large from my garage most of the time but it gets tougher in the winter.. I'll leave the mini on the front steps. Oh, paid $250. Looking forward to trying it maybe tonight with a nice lobster tail.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited December 2012
    There is no thinking involved about the second BGE-the only thought may be "how fast can I do the deal".  Were I ever to have the opportunity-I have an answer at the ready.  Of course I have a pedestrain LBGE-and I would buy that size again-just to share the toys.  With the XL and the "green light" just get it done!  Tough problem to solve :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited December 2012

I know have a small and a lrg. Here's what I'm doing for cold smoking.image

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I bought the XL first and then another XL.  I can get them up to TRex temp in less than 15 minutes and there are several ways to conserve lump just by the lighting pattern you use.  I normally only cook for 2 but four or five times per month I cook for 8 to 16 since the neighbors have figured out where all the great smells are coming from.  Having two makes life much easier.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't do it. The 2nd is a gateway to the 3rd, 4th, etc...
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I got the large first & 3 months later I got the small for quick every nite cooks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• XL and MED combo here. I love them both. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • billyray said:

My God, man...  That's just crazy cool!  Kudos to the genius behind this design!
  • Lit said:
    LOL

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have a large and a small.  But I am planning on adding an XL soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Lit

billyray said:

My God, man...  That's just crazy cool!  Kudos to the genius behind this design!</blockquote

this is what I do with my mini/small in the summer but when its cold out its much easier just to put a couple pieces of lit lump in the egg with chips on them and then plate setter. If its cold out its easy to keep the egg under 90 and still get good smoke.

• Lit

Lit said:

LOL

yeah its bad. Not really even sure how many eggs I have had at this point. Currently 4 mini, small, large and XL but I sold a mini to a friend and a small at one point and a large recently when I got my XL and I gave my parents my medium so I think that's all of them maybe.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have two larges a small and a mini.  With just my wife and I at home the small and mini have become our "grillers" and the larges are the "bakers and smokers".  When I do steaks I fire up the mini with the cast iron grate to lava like temps to sear and have the small with a raised grid at 400 to finish them off.  I know you don't need two eggs for this cook, but hey, they're eggs and they're fun!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Got it!! Just put my new small together in the living room. I noticed that the grate is slightly smaller than the fire ring so that it does not sit down on it snugly. Is this normal for the small?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Best get er done. You will enjoy the versatility. Dual temperatures, meat and veggies, etc.
    Large, small, and a mini