Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What size cast iron for Deep Dish?

I'm still Christmas shopping for myself.  ;)  What size cast iron skillet are you guys using for deep dish pizzas?  I have a LBGE -- I want to make sure I'll be able to close the lid, but I also want a good size pie.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,475
    edited December 2012
    I use a 10" most of the time, we also have a 12" and a 14". A 10" pie has 1/3# mozza, 14 oz drained tomato, 2 (Costco) medium hot Italian sausages, 1/2 an onion and couple of garlic cloves, some romano and more mozza. Depends on how many you are feeding, the 10" does a nice job for the two of us maybe 3 with "normal" appetites, the thickness of the pie is about right. The 12" does a nice job for 3-4 people. 
    Also - the 12", which has a short handle, barely fits on my medium, don't ask how I know the 14" won't fit, I never tried it.....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 192

I use the 12 inch lodge, with the handel it's 18 in. that shoule just make it for you. Happy shopping.

·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,097
    edited December 2012
    I want THIS ONE, but I haven't been able to find dimensions from end to end. 
    ·
  • Great!  Thanks, y'all! :D
    ·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 192
    Ya Kristi that the one, I have an XL but I think your grid is 18 in +.

·
  • I was thinking about a 12" or possibly larger if I can get one.  The handle?  Rocky said it all when he said, "Cut it Mick."  (OK he really said "Cut me Mick", but why get in the way of entertainment?)

http://youtu.be/iT49-o7sN04

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • FurallFurall Posts: 103
    I have a LBGE and that exact skillet. Works great.
    ·
  • Amazon has the Lodge for <$20, the size shown is 19X13X6 - the shipping box, so it is close to 18 overall. 

I like a little more of a saute side, the Lodge is almost a right angle. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,025
    Target has these at a better price : http://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-iron-pre-seasoned-skillet-12-inch/-/A-10291923

Also, on this same page, the overall dimension tip of handle to opposite handle is 18", which would be fine for the large......
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I use the lid from the Lodge Dutch Oven.  10", no handle to worry about and works great.
  • Thanks, Guys... I appreciate all the help! 
    I ended up adding it to my Amazon order for $19.95 (free shipping).  I bought a few other things I "needed", like spatulas and bowls.  O:-)
    ·
  • I'd buy the target one and just grind the handle off, which I may just do. The lid to my Lodge DO is covered in Spikes which I don't get, it would have been nice if it was smooth and could double as a pizza pan
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    That one measures 18" handle to handle
    ·
  • I have a Lodge 10 inch. A deep dish in It fed a family of four. I use my CI skillet all of the time. Other than weight, I often wonder why people stopped using CI.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,431
    I got the 12 inch lodge for $13 at TJMaxx/HomeGoods. 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510

I'd buy the target one and just grind the handle off, which I may just do. The lid to my Lodge DO is covered in Spikes which I don't get, it would have been nice if it was smooth and could double as a pizza pan

The spikes are for self-basting. One of my le creuset pots has them as well. You might be able to find a smooth lid on ebay, if necessary.
    ·
  • I found all three of my CI skillets 10", 12", 14" at yard sales.  Paid $9.00 for all three and they are Lodge.  I also found a great sizzle plate for $1.00.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,856
    My CI skillet also came from a garage sale.  It has 12 7/16 inches stamped on the bottom.  With the handle, it is about 17 1/4 inches long so it fits on the egg but it is "offset".  I use a raised grid and a pizza stone to protect the pan that hangs over the plate setter like so:

I have thought about just taking a hack saw to the handle...but I use the skillet inside all the time as well and I like the handle.  

On a related note...you don't want to work the crust up over the edge of the pan or it will burn!  If this happens, you can just trim off the burned crust with kitchen shears ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 233
    I have either to big or to small: the 17 inch and a very small 6 inch. 

That 17 inch would make quite a pizza, maybe I should try!
    Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,655
    that one fits a large, you can also use the old metal pie tins, ive also used my 13.5 inch paella pan, it doesnt need to be castiron, most pizza pans are just steel
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510
    that one fits a large, you can also use the old metal pie tins, ive also used my 13.5 inch paella pan, it doesnt need to be castiron, most pizza pans are just steel
    Indeed. Most are steel and dark-colored. Allows the absorption of heat that creates the brown crust you can't get with light-colored pans.
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Save your money on CI and buy the BGE ceramic deep dish pan...it works great and fits on the large BGE...you put Crisco on the bottom of the pan to make a great crust...
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,097
    edited December 2012
    I ordered the 12" Lodge from Amazon --  it arrived today & I love it already!
    I'll be using it for more than just Deep Dish Pizzas... I just wanted to make sure I could use it for that, too.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,175
    edited December 2012

I ordered the 12" Lodge from Amazon --  it arrived today & I love it already!
    I'll be using it for more than just Deep Dish Pizzas... I just wanted to make sure I could use it for that, too.

Great choice! That's the one I have and I love it!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·