Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend a Pizza Stone

Greetings all.

I'm a long time lurker, first time caller.  I've been enjoying my large BGE for about 14 months now and love it.  I learn something every time I use it.

A couple days ago, we cooked up some pizza and they turned out the best we've ever made.  I think in part due to the 700° temp that we cooked at.  The only problem we encountered was that the pizza stone we used broke in two.  It was a Pampered Chef stone that my wife has had for years.  Luckily, there was enough left of it to finish our last pizza but now I'm in the market for a new stone.

I ran a search but couldn't find anything suggesting one over another.  I see that BGE sells a stone but they are slim on details.  I think I want something that is thick rather than thin as I believe thermal mass helps.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• the stones that tom has at ceramicgrillstore.com are nice and thick. i have both 16" and 13"...they're really good quality. i routinely do pizzas at 800*+ with no cracking issues.
  • I have the BGE XL Pizza stone. It is hefty, thicker than the others I looked at. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • PC stones don't like going over 450, so you were lucky to get a few cooks out of it. As Quinn says, the CGS stones have a good reputation. 
    I have a $10 13" stone I bought to get through a weekend over a year ago. Although rated to 500, it has seen 600+ a number of times. I have never heard of trouble with the BGE stone. Ask your dealer what the warranty is, always nice to maintain a relationship with your egg dealer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Ceramic Grill store... have the 13" and the 16"   (A 14" would be perfect as the 16" doesn't leave much space for the hot air to get to the top of the pizza and cook the toppings... on the Large, anyway)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    BGE stone here...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    BGE stone here too..

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• I have an Emile Henry 14.5 inch stone I got from Amazon. It's not real thick but I've been very happy with it. What I really like is the handles, way more convenient if you pull the stone hot. You can also cut right on the stone if you want. Also, FWIW, I did a demo cook not too long ago at the local BGE dealer. We had several eggs going, and doing pizzas on two larges. The setups were basically the same, exceptions were my large had a Hi-Que grate, dealers was stock, mine was using Emile Henry stone, dealer was BGE stone. We were using pre made thin crusts, similar toppings as far as quantity, and same cooking temps. Probably did 25-30 pizzas between the two. The crusts from the Emile Henry seemed to come out more consistent for a given amount of cook time. The dealer himself even commented my eggs pizzas were more "picture worthy". That was just my observation, could have been the stone, the difference in fire grates, or a combination. Hope this helps, clear as mud, right?
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • I use fire bricks.  Purchased 4 for $7.00.  I set my stone or PS on the fire brick and let the rig heat at 500 for 45 minutes to get even thing stable. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I have a 15 1/2 inch FibraMent stone from greeneggchef.com
  • Just putting it out there for you but the pampered chef will warranty your stone
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • Just putting it out there for you but the pampered chef will warranty your stone
    It is my understanding they will, but they ask how you are using it when it broke. If you tell them it was on a BBQ at over 450, you might not get a replacement. Depends on how well you know your PC rep, worth a shot.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The pizza stones that Williams Sonoma sells are nice and thick, and have a lifetime warranty which is a good thing. Regularly get mine up to 650-700
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Thanks all y'all for the recommendations.  Choosing one is difficult but I think I'm going to go with one from BGE as it's local.  If it doesn't last, I'll choose differently next time.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I also have a bge stone. had it for years and its still going strong. i started out using fire brick splits configured to fit tight together. they work great and you can put them directly on the grate.
  • I got mine from Amazon.  It's an Old Stone Oven, good and heavy seems to be well made, but have only used it for a couple of pizza cooks.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    planenutz said:
    Thanks all y'all for the recommendations.  Choosing one is difficult but I think I'm going to go with one from BGE as it's local.  If it doesn't last, I'll choose differently next time.
    I've heard nothing but good things about the BGE stones...you might be able to save a little money by getting another brand, but I doubt you will have any issues with quality ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    I have the BGE XL Pizza stone. It is hefty, thicker than the others I looked at. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.

+1
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO