Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Lower shelf sagging (cupping)

As you can see from a previous post, I'm giving my BGE table a makeover.   One issue I've had since I bought the table was sagging (cupping) of the lower shelf due to the weight of the BGE (large) on it.

Last night I removed the outer porition that had sagged and I'm now looking to cut new wood to replace it. (1 x 3's that have been doubled in thickness, essetially creating a 2x3)  This time, I plan on supporting the weight of the egg on the lower shelf with 2x4 cross beams underneath the shelf running the entire distance.

My question is, can anyone recommend a harder wood to construct the exterior of the bottom shelf so it will not be prone to sagging (cupping)?

Comments