Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Egger

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all. I actually work for a company that is a big green egg dealer, I have probably talked to many of you on the phone. I have listen for the past year to Eggers like yourselves just rave about the food, so I have taken the plunge and ordered one. However I have no idea what I am doing! I ordered the large and an electic starter is that the best way to light it? Lots of help needed!!!! I need simple easy to understand recipies. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Tara Trevino, go to The Naked Whiz's website and down load a copy of my collected recipes. It's woefully out of date but it's still a great collection for a start. Then go the the Dizzy Pig site and order some Dizzy Pig Rub.( www.DizzyPigBBQ.com ) Email Bluesmoke and order some of his rubs. Then I think you are ready.

[ul][li]Whiz's Cookbooks[/ul]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Tara Trevino,[p]Welcome! The electric starter works fine -- lots of us use MAPP torches, but to tell the truth, I like the torch mainly because it makes a loud noise and it spits out a three thousand degree [really] plume of fire. Not necessary, but fun!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Wise One,
    I agree with you on your advice; however I would add Lawn Ranger Tools; Tel-Tru Thermometer, Therma-Pen; and the BBQ Guru, and Dr. BBQ's book!
    Hammer

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Tara Trevino,
    Congratulations! You did good. Check your email and follow the advice of your new Egghead friends. You will be in good hands.[p]Spring "Down The Road From You" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Tara Trevino,[p]All those suggested tools are great, and you will enjoy all of them. My very first cook on the egg was steak and potatoes, and since I had no dome thermometer (the dealer I used in 1997 didn't stock them back then so I had to wait for BGE to fill my order), I had to guess at all the temperatures. I didn't even have a daisy wheel, just the ceramic rain cap. Well, everyone laughed until they tasted the food - it was all perfect! I use the electric starter all the time, but always keep some paraffin
    starter on hand in case of power outages. Happy Egging![p]Barbara

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    dpnwsalmon.jpg
    <p />Tara Trevino,
    In addition to the cookbooks that Wise One pointed you to, I have a recipe page that is mostly easy recipes. The one in the photo was really easy! Look for Panko Encrusted whatever under "fish". Take a look if you are interested:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Easy Recipes[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz