Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Time Egger

edited 1:11PM in EggHead Forum
Hello to all. I actually work for a company that is a big green egg dealer, I have probably talked to many of you on the phone. I have listen for the past year to Eggers like yourselves just rave about the food, so I have taken the plunge and ordered one. However I have no idea what I am doing! I ordered the large and an electic starter is that the best way to light it? Lots of help needed!!!! I need simple easy to understand recipies. Thanks in advance!
·

Comments

• Wise OneWise One Posts: 2,645
    Tara Trevino, go to The Naked Whiz's website and down load a copy of my collected recipes. It's woefully out of date but it's still a great collection for a start. Then go the the Dizzy Pig site and order some Dizzy Pig Rub.( www.DizzyPigBBQ.com ) Email Bluesmoke and order some of his rubs. Then I think you are ready.

[ul][li]Whiz's Cookbooks[/ul]
    ·
  • Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
    Tara Trevino,[p]Welcome! The electric starter works fine -- lots of us use MAPP torches, but to tell the truth, I like the torch mainly because it makes a loud noise and it spits out a three thousand degree [really] plume of fire. Not necessary, but fun!

·
  • HammerHammer Posts: 1,001
    Wise One,
    I agree with you on your advice; however I would add Lawn Ranger Tools; Tel-Tru Thermometer, Therma-Pen; and the BBQ Guru, and Dr. BBQ's book!
    Hammer

·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    Tara Trevino,
    Congratulations! You did good. Check your email and follow the advice of your new Egghead friends. You will be in good hands.[p]Spring "Down The Road From You" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

·
  • LuvmyeggLuvmyegg Posts: 86
    Tara Trevino,[p]All those suggested tools are great, and you will enjoy all of them. My very first cook on the egg was steak and potatoes, and since I had no dome thermometer (the dealer I used in 1997 didn't stock them back then so I had to wait for BGE to fill my order), I had to guess at all the temperatures. I didn't even have a daisy wheel, just the ceramic rain cap. Well, everyone laughed until they tasted the food - it was all perfect! I use the electric starter all the time, but always keep some paraffin
    starter on hand in case of power outages. Happy Egging![p]Barbara

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    dpnwsalmon.jpg
    <p />Tara Trevino,
    In addition to the cookbooks that Wise One pointed you to, I have a recipe page that is mostly easy recipes. The one in the photo was really easy! Look for Panko Encrusted whatever under "fish". Take a look if you are interested:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Easy Recipes[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
    ·