Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket advice

Howdy eggers,

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep your brisket from getting crusty on the bottom when you cook it?  The last couple I have smoked have all formed a hard crust on the bottom.  I typically smoke fat side up though I have tried it both ways.  I would appreciate any thoughts or input.

Cowpreacher
·

Comments

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Here is how I do it. No hard bark on the bottom at all. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  •   +2 .
     Boating in a pan or foiling will soften or prevent bark depending on when you do it.
     Or just pull off the bark and send it my way. I think it's the best part.
    ·
  • We've been known to cook a good brisket here and there on the Egg.

We cook fat side down as the Egg exposes the meat to more heat from the bottom, the fat will help protect and keep it moist.

We never use mustard on BBQ. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Thanks guys, some great ideas.  The flat looks really good Dave.
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    I am doing my first ever brisket today. I bought a 5 lb flat started at 7:45 this morning and got a bad stall at 11:00. It stalled at 160 IT . I had it at about 275 dome , 250 ish grate and it stalled for aout 1 & 1/2 hours! I bumped it up to 400 dome and it finally to passed the stall.
    image.jpg 242.4K
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,203
    I like the Travis method.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    I am going to try the Travis method on my next brisket.
    ·
  • Another brisket tip is to cook a full packer brisket.  The leaner flat muscle by itself is far more difficult to produce a moist finished product.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
    Well pulled it at 200 IT and it was tough and dry! Better luck next time I guess!
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,216
    Kosko said:
    Well pulled it at 200 IT and it was tough and dry! Better luck next time I guess!

Did you check for "doneness" using the probe test..."probe goes in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat= done?"  Each hunk is different but your temperature was in the "done" range.  Just get back on that horse again.
    Louisville
    ·
  • There is a lot of info here.

http://kamadojoe.com/mojoe/mojoe1210.html

·
    Yes I tried the probe trick, however I just learned I was cutting the brisket with the grain not against it. I cut against the grain and its a huge difference in tenderness. But it's a little dry.
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Here is how I do it. No hard bark on the bottom at all. 

Did this method yesterday and It came

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Sorry about that. But The Travis method came out great. I served it for dinner last night and people loved it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,216
    edited December 2012
    @Kosko-glad you sorted out the tenderness issue-dryness is the big challenge with the flats.  The "Travis" method is a braise that removes that from the equation but any flat is a fun cook.  I guess it's because it is never the same.  Got a 6+# flat on now-and this one hits the stall in the low 170's-will see whether a strikeout or some base hit-I'll take a double but haven't had a home-run in several at bats :)
    Louisville
    ·