Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermoworks thermocouple probe vs maverick?

Options
I finally decided to buy a thermapen.  Included in the box was a catalog of their vaious other products.  I saw a probe thermometer with the K-type probes.  I know they are more heavy duty than the standard plugs.  Just wondered if anyone has ever used them and would recommend them.  Also, how do they compare to the et-732, both pros and cons.  I am looking to upgrade from the cheapy probe thermometers because I'm getting tired of replacing them so much.  Thanks.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The TW8060 is an excellent temperature monitor.  It has all the features of the Maverick except the remote wireless monitoring.  The thermocouples are much more durable than the thermistors.  Costs about twice as much, but much cheaper than the Fluke 52 series.
    Options
    After destroying a brisket I took the plunge and invested in both the thermapen and the TW8060.  Love them both. I never had the maverick but was worried after reading some reviews by people who burned them out so I invested in the 8060. Would be happier if it was wireless, but that is my only complaint with it - you can tell from the first moment you take it out of the box it is a quality piece of equipment.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    A wireless version of the TW8060 would be awesome.  Maverick is nice in crappy weather or if the food is finishing up at the same time the game on TV is ending.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I did try a baby monitor with my 8060, forgot that we bought the kids a video version, worked fine. 

Maverick sent me some new probes under warranty and they are working great, no idea why, but the two units even seem to sync faster. 

I'll keep the monitor until the DIL wants it back if she has another....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!