Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt temp chart

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone recall seeing a post on butt cooking temps a while back? I'm interested in seeing a listing of the appropriate internal temps for a butt over the course of the cooking time from frig to pull. [p]As I type this I've got an 8.5 lb butt on the egg. Dome temp now is about 210, but I had some control troubles at the outset. For about the first hour of the cook, the dome temp was around 300-325. As a result, my meat temp, currently two and a half hours into the cook, is 100 degrees.... Does this seem appropriate?[p]Thanks for the help.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    bdavidson:[p]Over the four hour period from when the butt war removed from the refrigerator, the internal should be at 140* to escape the "danger zone". Is that what you are asking?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I have seen some charts but wouldn't know where to find them. Sounds like you are doin fine. Keep dome around 250 if you are doing in indirect. Get a good nights sleep. Should be plateauing when you wake up.
    Sweet dreams
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Mot quite. At one point, someone had posted the temperature climb of their butt hour by hour through the cook to a goal temp of 200. I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of that chart.
    5 hours into it now. Dome temp still 225 and meat temp 134.[p]I'm going to bed...
    Night!

• Unknown
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Mot quite. At one point, someone had posted the temperature climb of their butt hour by hour through the cook to a goal temp of 200. I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of that chart.
    5 hours into it now. Dome temp still 225 and meat temp 134.[p]I'm going to bed...
    Night!

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    See...you know I've been up way too long when I misspell my name and enter my posts twice!

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I don't remember who posted the chart, but I log internal temp every hour or so when I do a butt. Usually they hit 140-150 in the first 4 hours or so. Sounds like you're perking along nicely.[p]Cathy