Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diet Change Help

Comments

• +1 On using a wok.  It's quick and the varieties for veggies and spices are endless so hopefully you won't get "bored" which for me is the hardest part of trying to maintain a healthy diet.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would get the south beach book and maybe even the atkins and gear it towards leaner meats, lots of meal plans with those two diets. did the doctor check your thyroid, had a guy here with trigs off the chart, over 2000, after they gave him the "new" diet plan which had more fat in it than what he was already eating(health nut), they eventually checked his thyroid after he asked to have it checked, simple meds brought the trigs in check
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I'll have to ask on the thyroid - I believe they tested that as well.  I am overweight as well so the numbers are inline with with that.

Garnerville, NY
  • Been there. Got a zipper down the middle of my chest to prove it. Lean meats, more fruits and vegetables, lower salt intake, no one has mention adding nuts to the diet (almonds, sunflower seed and walnuts are very beneficial) eat more often 5 or 6 times a day. This keeps your metabolism going and will cause weight loss. With only 2 or 3 meals a day, your body stores the energy as fat because it does not know when the next load is coming even if you do. The most important meal of the day is breakfast. Do Not Skip! This is what fires up your metabolism. You do not have to eat like a bird here but you should be conscious of what it is that you are putting into yourself and make sound judgements. Look at it as a challenge and your frustrations will soon disappear.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    definitely ask, they over look that test alot.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Like @Flashkabob said, nuts are awesome for protein and healthy fats. Getting(or making your own) trail mix or nut mix and measuring out servings into baggies is a great way to maintain satiety at work. Look up a recipe and go to the bulk food section at the supermarket. Much cheaper than getting pre-packaged mix, convenience aside. You can also roast them and add different seasoning to them to alter their flavor profiles and add variety.
  • robnybbq
    One thing that I do enjoy to make is soup.  I would like to know how to make them better on the egg.

I have made this on the stove. 
    Canned crushed tomatos, celery, carrots, onions, beef broth, cannellini or red beans, chicken (cooked in a frying pan then thrown into the soup).  I cook this for ~ 3-4 hours on a low simmer.  Comes out good and is this considered "Healthy"?

Also chili, How can I make the "Cow Lick Chili" healthy?

Garnerville, NY
  • I am very biased on this subject so you will get my advice (and history)

Wife had high cholesterol (entire family has had heart attacks including women). Long story short she dropped her cholesterol 63 points in 3 months. All she did was follow the book "Cholesterol Down." You don't change your eating except you add certain foods to what you eat. The doctor wanted to put her on meds but we refused to do it with drugs and wanted to do it with food. She still ate burgers and what not, just added this stuff. It is well worth the try!
  • Eggcelsior
    robnybbq said:
    One thing that I do enjoy to make is soup.  I would like to know how to make them better on the egg.

Canned crushed tomatos, celery, carrots, onions, beef broth, cannellini or red beans, chicken (cooked in a frying pan then thrown into the soup).  I cook this for ~ 3-4 hours on a low simmer.  Comes out good and is this considered "Healthy"?

How is the chicken cooked? Saute? White or dark meat? I presume saute to build fond. The soup is healthy but you could substitute chicken breast for thigh meat. Just braise or boil the chicken and add it in towards the end of the cook to prevent drying it out. This will sacrifice some mouth feel from the dissolved fat. I would suggest adding chicken stock to fix this(maybe 1/2 and 1/2 with beef broth), plus it's lower in sodium than the broth.

For the chili, use chicken sausage(like Bruce Aidells) and ground turkey or at least 93/7 ground beef. Don't add any additional salt, there should be enough from the other ingredients like the beef broth, rub, and regular chili powder. You can also use all Ancho instead of mixing it with regular. Rinse the beans as well as drain them or use dry beans and soak them to rehydrate first. They will taste better anyways.
  • robnybbq said:

I'm not 100% sure what Cow Lick Chili is however I do know what a cow lick is. It's a big block of salt thrown own in the field for the cows to supplement their mineral intake suggesting that "Cow lick Chili" may be high in salt. (Tastes good but pushes up the blood pressure.) I'm not saying to cut out salt altogether (everything tastes like crap if there is zero salt) Just cut back some. We all eat approximately 3 times our daily requirement for salt.There are literally thousands of recipes on the net for chili. Find 1 that sounds good to you and use  lean cuts of meat. I know the folks in the south will say "It's not Chili if it's got beans in it!" however beans are a great alternative or complimentary source of protein to meat. 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Bob, Cowlick is one of the Dizzy Pig spice blends. Lower is salt than most rubs and blends.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I second Hapster on a primal/paleo style diet if you really want to get your body right.  I would also look into joining Crossfit or some type of exercise program.

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • I make a three bean turkey chili that myself and the wife enjoy.

Turkey,Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas), Black Beans and Kidney Beans.  I use diced tomatoes, onions, peppers and then season to taste.  The last two batches I've made on the egg in a CI Dutch oven using a little hickory smoke. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

GOOD THREAD, and I think someone mentioned this....EXERCISE...at least 30 min a day.  Nothing crazy, taking a walk is great.

Unsaturated fats = good fats

Soluble fiber will help bring down your LDL = bad cholesterol

Woking is a great suggestion, be careful of the premade stir fry sauces and the sauces you make from scratch (soy, fish, etc.)  High in Na.

Saw a good tip from Thirdeye a while back where he mixed water with his stir fry to help cut the oil.

Stop using table salt at the table, cook with it. 

Almonds are excellent at helping to keep the hunger pains at bay.  Beef jerky. 

Greek Yogurt is awesome for a good source of protein.  Cottage cheese too.

Vitamin B, Niacin, helps by increasing your good HDL, which decreases your bad LDL. USE FOOD SOURCES.

Invest in your health with a Vitamix or Blendtec.  Money well spent.  Use a natural sweetener like honey for smoothies.  Tons of opportunities. 

Portion control...my nemesis.

Most importantly talk to your Doc, possibly get a referral to a dietician(more formal), or nutritionist(informal). 

Ramblings of a cardiac nurse.    :-@

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• robnybbq
    Thanks all.

Some good things we do already and have been for years.

We rarely use salt in anything.
    We use fake butter (Olivio) when needed.
    I rarely eat Bacon (I should be punished but I know its too fatty)
    Do not drink soda allot - Gatorade G2 mostly or water
    Do not drink Milk at all (Kids drink fat free)
    Use Equal in coffee and not regular sugar

Biggest problems are I like beer, wine, beer, vodka, beer
    Also pasta is a huge issue - love it and can not eat a small portion of it. 

Few things I definitely will not eat
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    raisins

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Oh and whats this exercise I keep hearing about.  I do not do any.  tried a few times and could not stick with it.  They say walking is easy to do - its too cold out now and not walking around at night after work.  However I had a stress test done for chest pains while exercising and at rest and the cardio DR said he sees nothing wrong.  Hmm pain but nothing is wrong - I dont get it.

Garnerville, NY
  • For exercise, if you have space, see if you can find a used bowflex.  I've had mine over three years and still use it weekly, but you still need to do some cardio also.

• Eggcelsior
    edited December 2012
    Buy a treadmill and park it in front of a TV. Or while watching a program, get up and walk up and down the stairs during commercials. Like it was said before, park farther away at work, take stairs, get up and walk around 1 time an hour if you have a desk job.

@Focker and I can team up to take care of your heart and your gut. I do this for a living as a RN. I have to find nutritional sources for patients with severe food restrictions based on disease, not just personal choice.

I am not trying to criticize you, but I want to point one thing out. You are being defeatist. Every response seems to contain "I won't", "I can't", "it's too cold", "I definitely will not".  I hear this all the time. This is a choice-based proposition. You chose not to like those things, you're not allergic.

You can do this. It is a difficult commitment, but it is not impossible. For example: When my office prescribes Methotrexate(usually as a last or late resort) to patients to control their Crohn's disease, they CANNOT drink any alcohol. They will destroy their livers if they do. It's funny how chronic disease helps people get their priorities straight. 

Maintain a positive attitude. You have received a plethora of suggestions that are easily accessible. For another: I can understand if you don't like yogurt. You can still add it to a smoothie and never taste it, but still get the benefits. Do you like sour cream? Plain Greek yogurt tasted exactly like regular sour cream. Substitute it in dips and sauces calling for cream.

Use apple sauce instead of oil in baking. Keeps it moist without the fat and calories.
  • robnybbq
    I am going to try allot of these things.  We (I am) are getting a WOK for XMAS along with other Egg goodies.  That should help after I learn how to use it. I am going to buy a food saver this weekend if I can get out of working all weekend.  Probably wont get to cook on the egg though this weekend as way too much going on as usual.  Next meal on the Egg will hopefully be XMAS dinner of Prime Rib.  After that no more fat foods on the Egg.

I also need to learn how to cook indoors and make foods taste good that are healthy until winter is over.  Will try and use the Egg on weekends when we have time.

Eggcelsior as an RN - I am not looking for medical advice but have you heard/seen people have chest pains during elevated heart rates and not have heart issues?  I can not get an answer out of ANY DR so far - this is my reasoning for not exercising.

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't comment much. I really don't understand nutrition.

And I am no picture of health, myself. But...,

Find a way to exercise, and get used to feeling hungry maybe once a day. Personally, I always hated "official" exercise. I learned to take the stairs at work, and I sacrifice several hours of my weekend just walking briskly. Exercise lowers stress, which in itself contributes to cholesterol formulation.

At the very least, leave the table with some hunger. After awhile, your body will begin to digest the excess you have built up. Or at least, stop adding.

Do look into foods that lower LDLs. There is some research that indicates an imbalance of omega fats is a cause for all sorts of heart problems.

Too bad you don't like Indian food. A lot of Indian food is vegetarian, or even Vegan, and has been in development for several thousand years.

Check out various natural sources of umami  to compensate for the lack of taste that low fat foods often have. Walnuts, mushrooms, 1 single anchovy, (low-sodium) soy sauce, parmesan, and so forth. Just a bit of any of those will make a dish much more savory.

I agree chicken breast meat is pretty awful. But a nice long olive oil marinade can add some flavor. Likewise, pork loin. Both have little fat, but grill nicely on the Egg, oras chunks on skewers for kebabs.

Consider foiling low fat foods. Take some skinless turkey legs, and Egg'em just long enough to brown, then wrap in foil w. some veg oil so the sizzling oil will crisp even more. They will fall apart.

Lots of good grain dishes, tho' not really suited for the Egg. Soups are also one of the Egg's few weaknesses. Not the most efficient way to heat water. But do learn to make some good stock.

Good luck. I do have to say, there are losts of worse things that can happen than having too much good food at hand. Hope you avoid those other probs.

• robnybbq said:
    Oh and whats this exercise I keep hearing about.  I do not do any.  tried a few times and could not stick with it.  They say walking is easy to do - its too cold out now and not walking around at night after work.  However I had a stress test done for chest pains while exercising and at rest and the cardio DR said he sees nothing wrong.  Hmm pain but nothing is wrong - I dont get it.

most people do exercise completely wrong. Mind numbing. Don't think of it as exercise, just an active life style. A million ways. When watching tv stand instead of sit. Walk more, drive less. Stand at work instead of sit. Calf raises while standing in place. Park at back of parking lot (if its cold you'll walk faster ha). More time on grass, less time on ass. Ha but movement is key. Don't need a gym or home gym, at least not in beginning. Sign up for a 5K in march to walk and start walking now. Talk a walk before meals when possible bc will eat less. Just try to stay moving all day instead of a 30 min block of movement and a day of being sedentary.
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    robnybbq said:
    Thanks all.

Some good things we do already and have been for years.

We rarely use salt in anything.
    We use fake butter (Olivio) when needed.
    I rarely eat Bacon (I should be punished but I know its too fatty)
    Do not drink soda allot - Gatorade G2 mostly or water
    Do not drink Milk at all (Kids drink fat free)
    Use Equal in coffee and not regular sugar

Few things I definitely will not eat
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    raisins
    On the alcohol and pasta point: Alcohol(Ethanol or ETOH) is horrible for you nutritionally. It provides nothing but empty calories(and jollies) but our bodies metabolize it exceedingly well. We cannot store it and our intestines absorb it quickly. ETOH is oxidized to acetaldehyde by the coenzyme NAD+. This creates NADH. NADH converts pyruvic acid(necessary for glucose synthesis) to lactic acid. Also, since it is inhibiting gluconeogenesis and glycolysis, glycerol is stored after the carbon chains have been knocked off(triglycerides) as fat instead of being converted to glucose, leading to weight gain. This also causes hypoglycemia due to the inhibition of glucose production.

Sorry for the Biochemistry lesson. I tried to remember as much as possible from nursing school.
    Basically, Drinking makes you hungrier fro mthe hypoglycemia(overeat) and feel like crap(hangover) from the lactic acid and associated dehydration. One drink occasionally should be fine, stick to wine since it has health benefits that other alcohols do not. This will be the hardest.

Pasta-wise, Carb city baby! Typical restaurant servings are 3-4 times the normal serving size. A normal serving is 2 oz. whereas you get 5-7 oz or more in a restaurant. Plus, you are likely having nice buttery bread with the meal. I know I do. At home, try spaghetti squash as a substitute. It has a great buttery flavor that complements pasta sauce.
  • I would have to say avoid the extra oils.  Oil has a lot of calories and adds up fast if you’re using a little in a marinade here, a little in a sauce there.  Don’t add fat to foods if possible, generally it doesn’t NEEED it.  Teflon lined pans and well seasoned cast iron pans and woks are your friend.  Carbohydrate intake should be minimal, and should be limited to starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and squash.  Carbs should be for an occasional replenishment of muscle glycogen, which helps if you’re engaged in any intense physical activity. Without intense activity you don’t need your glycogen stores topped off.  Fruit has little value outside of fiber, the fructose is one of the worst types of sugar.  Eat plenty of lean meat.  Plenty means roughly 1 gram of protein per day for every pound of lean body mass (the percentage of your body that isn’t body fat).  Sufficient protein amounts will mean your weight loss will be from fat and not muscle and other tissues.  Animal protein is the highest quality form of protein.  Others have recommended cutting down meat or eating more vegetarian dishes.  This is because the protein in meat is often accompanied by fat, but if you chose lean meats you wouldn’t have the fat.

Bottom line-

Protein:  1gr per day for every pound of lean body mass, every day.

Carb:  Keep intake low to maintain ketosis.  Eat low GI starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and squashes when you do eat carbs.

Fat:  As long as you’re following the above, eat as much as it will take to maintain a desired weight loss rate.  If you’re not losing as fast as you want then reduce fat intake, if it’s falling off crazy fast and you feel too lethargic then add some more fat in until you get to where you want to be.

• Eggcelsior
    robnybbq said:
    I am going to try allot of these things.  We (I am) are getting a WOK for XMAS along with other Egg goodies.  That should help after I learn how to use it. I am going to buy a food saver this weekend if I can get out of working all weekend.  Probably wont get to cook on the egg though this weekend as way too much going on as usual.  Next meal on the Egg will hopefully be XMAS dinner of Prime Rib.  After that no more fat foods on the Egg.

I also need to learn how to cook indoors and make foods taste good that are healthy until winter is over.  Will try and use the Egg on weekends when we have time.

Eggcelsior as an RN - I am not looking for medical advice but have you heard/seen people have chest pains during elevated heart rates and not have heart issues?  I can not get an answer out of ANY DR so far - this is my reasoning for not exercising.
    A person can have cardiac issues with no symptoms whatsoever, especially women. Having chest pain during exercise could be a multitude of things from a heart, lung or GI issue. If you had a stress test, you had an ECG. Without changes(ST depression), it may not be your heart. You may just have reflux. Unfortunately, my best advice is to ask your MD.

How soon do you have CP after activity? Walking does not have to be strenuous to be effective. Even walking around the house will help. Get a pedometer and set goals of steps in a day. Test how many you do in a normal day and try to exceed that gradually. Keep track of your progress. There are many plans available online and pedometers are as cheap as a few dollars.
  • robnybbq said:

ground turkey instead of beef, fresh tomatoes instead of canned (less salt) 

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  •  At home, try spaghetti squash as a substitute. It has a great buttery flavor that complements pasta sauce.
    x2
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • robnybbq said:
    Thanks all.

also try rice pasta, you have to cook it a little less than regular pasta but we substitute it regularly and don't notice a difference when it is cooked properly

• I hope you can find something that works for you, judging from the amount of responses people here are more than willing to help

two biggest things that have helped me is portion control, I monitor every calorie that goes in, and exercise, 

now my mantra is: I like eating too much to eat too much, and I like drinking too much to drink too much
  • robnybbq
    This is good stuff.  I will start trying these things.

Garnerville, NY
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I found after I got up to (for me) a whopping 227 that avoiding white foods, smaller portions, eating slowly and really chewing my food, a couple of "in between" snacks - an orange, a few peanuts will do.

You just have to keep your metabolism cranking all through the day. At the end of a year I was down to 185 and I maintain that pretty well. I do go off and have a huge bowl of rice with butter once in a great while but, I'm still careful and eat almost everything I used to just nowhere near as much.

My blood work is normal however, the only thing I take a 5mg blood pressure pill each day.

It's going to take a lot of work on your part unless you want to loaded down with heart troubles, diabetes, high blood pressure or even death. 

To make it work it has to come out of your head. No one can force this on you. Start out by doing it one meal at a time, one day at a time and one pound at a time.

You can still keep the Egg boiling along in the process. Good luck.