Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

direct or indirect?

MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43
Today I am working a pre marinated hormel pork tenderloin. Not trying to get fancy with it, just cook. Am I going direct or indirect? Thanks for your help.
Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,115
    I do them direct, raised grid at around 350*F til 145.  Turn once or twice-usually around 25 mins or so.  Great eats!
    Louisville
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 253
    lousubcap said:
    I do them direct, raised grid at around 350*F til 145.  Turn once or twice-usually around 25 mins or so.  Great eats!
    +1. 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Tonight I did two loins from Trader Joe's and I did direct at 350.  They came out awesome!

It was my second cook and the first time I used my Maverick probes.  It worked out really good but the bbq probe was way off from the dome BGE thermometer.  I think it had to do with placement so next time I'll clip that probe to the dome thermometer.

But it came out juicy and delicious, 145 is the sweet spot for sure! The outside was not crispy (burnt) at all!
  • MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43

That's great! When I did mine the other night, I did direct as well. Cooked to 145 but my wife blew a gasket saying she still thinks that is too raw for pork despite what the manufacturer says on it's label. I have heard you can cook as high as 160 or so and still not loose any integrity as far as juice or tenderness. Just keep working till I get it right.

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,326
    MJQ8 said:

That's great! When I did mine the other night, I did direct as well. Cooked to 145 but my wife blew a gasket saying she still thinks that is too raw for pork despite what the manufacturer says on it's label. I have heard you can cook as high as 160 or so and still not loose any integrity as far as juice or tenderness. Just keep working till I get it right.

I think 140 is perfect.  I'll pull at 135 if I'm doing direct.  Perfectly safe and very juicy.  Horseradish sauce works well with tenderloin.  I do not like pre-brined/seasoned tenderloins.  I told Ms. B that I don't care if they're on sale, do. not. buy.

• MJQ8 said:

My wife is the same way.  I try to cook two of most things.  One the way I like them and the other well done.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapplehenapple Posts: 11,333
    I do mine slower and indirect...more beer time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MJQ8 said:

My wife is the same way.  I try to cook two of most things.  One the way I like them and the other well done.

Oh my gosh! We are all married to the same woman!  I hit 145 and she was upset since the pork was "raw."  Tasted pretty good to me last night and I'm still alive and feelin' fine today! ;-)
    Here's a good temp guide.  Maybe it'll help you wives accept pork that's not overcooked better....

http://www.amazingribs.com/images/blog/meat_temp.jpg

• Mine was the same way but she's coming around now. I am moving towards medium rare from the other end.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Yeah, I used to be on the blue side, but I'm going to the rarer side of medium rare now days.

• I have to admit, I enjoy ribeyes cooked to med-rare more than I did the bleu. Still prefer less fatty cuts that way though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MickeyMickey Posts: 14,209
    edited December 2012

Is pre marinated not marinated?

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry..... God I wished VI had said that..... Sorry, Sorry, Sorry....... :-t

Not busy at work, should not have said that...... My bad.....

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• VI has class.  He would never say anything ugly to a fellow Egghead, Iguanaface !   :-w

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,779
    edited December 2012
    tortio said:
    Tonight I did two loins from Trader Joe's and I did direct at 350.  They came out awesome!

It was my second cook and the first time I used my Maverick probes.  It worked out really good but the bbq probe was way off from the dome BGE thermometer.  I think it had to do with placement so next time I'll clip that probe to the dome thermometer.

But it came out juicy and delicious, 145 is the sweet spot for sure! The outside was not crispy (burnt) at all!
    Glad the cook was successful. 
    Quite possible the dome thermo is off, calibrate it then check with the Mav pit probe if you want, further suggest this is done with an indirect cook. Why would you have two thermos on the same spot? I do not recommend you use a Mav probe with a direct cook. You will fry the probes. For an indirect cook, they are great when positioned over a setter leg and junction wrapped with foil. If a probe is over some burning lump the temp can be 200 different from the other side of the grid over non-burning lump. Also, a probe on a grid set on the fire ring. lowered direct, can be 100s hotter than the dome. 
    Bottom line, make sure dome thermo is calibrated and use it for direct cooks, it is close enough.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    What Skiddy said. :D