Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small is on the way, what eggcessories are your favorites for the little bundle of Joy?

So I went and ordered a small to go with my large.  Not having any kids of my own, I spaced my purchase 2 years apart so the new addition could have some time to learn from the seasoned veteran.  

Now the question is what to do for accessories?  

On my large, I have a Platesetter that I almost never use. 

I have the mothership three tier thing which is almost useless (due to the large obstruction in the center of it) unless I want to throw one of them directly on the coals for a quick sear (trex).  

I often will raise my grid with bricks and find I do a lot of roasting of "finishing" to desired temp high in the dome.  I have a wok that fits in the large fine, but I just set it on the fire ring and run it at a tilt to "make it work".  

What would you second egg owners (or single egg families) suggest I get to compliment the new addition?

Thanks-  P

·

Comments

• I just started using the maverick thermometer and so far so good.
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,642
    edited December 2012

The woo gives you raised direct, indirect and baking.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/small-a-mini-woo2.html

The 8.5" pizza stone is for the bottom

BGE 12" stone for the top if you want to do pizzas, etc.

A carbon steel wok is a good, cheap accessory.  I lay mine on the grate, standard setup.

Decided to go with the pao wok with handle, 12" seems to work just right.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-our-hand-hammered.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • It's a no brainer Sid.  Thermopen and a placesetter.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Being your second Egg, I'm assuming you already have a thermometer. I'd say from the Ceramic Grill Store a Woo and their 10" stone or two. CGW is supposed to come out with a two tier swing rack soon so I suppose that's another option. Wok Shop is great for wok options (I have a 12" D handle wok). You could also get a cast iron grid for the small that you use in either Egg if you have a spider for your Large.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • R2Egg2Q said:

Being your second Egg, I'm assuming you already have a thermometer. I'd say from the Ceramic Grill Store a Woo and their 10" stone or two. CGW is supposed to come out with a two tier swing rack soon so I suppose that's another option. Wok Shop is great for wok options (I have a 12" D handle wok). You could also get a cast iron grid for the small that you use in either Egg if you have a spider for your Large.

+1 I have the woo & two 10" pizza stones I've had for about 3 weeks. Love cooking with them! One stone is dedicated for indirect cooking, one for pizza. I also have a BGE CI grid I'm looking forward using with a Spider I'm getting for my large to sear steaks.

Enjoy your new baby!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,909
    Looks like the only thing that missing is the High-Que.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00639K7KU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355433806&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

By it now and replace the stock one before your 1st use.
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,502
    Listen to @cazzy.

I think the High-que is the first priority for the Small. The stock grate on the Small is terrible, almost unusable.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,834
    Hi54putty said:
    Listen to @cazzy. I think the High-que is the first priority for the Small. The stock grate on the Small is terrible, almost unusable.
    +1   +1    +1   +1   +1   +1 Cazzy and Hi54putty have it NAILED...........
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Oh, I forgot about the High-Q.  Do yourself a favor and get that before anything else.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 741
    R2Egg2Q said:

X2. And the High que!
    ·